Numerical Control Multiple Tool and Milling Machine OperatorAuburn, Washington
NC machine operators setup, operate and adjust numerous types of Numerically Controlled (NC) single and multiple tool milling machines, utilizing pre-planned control media and/or program documents to fabricate close tolerance, high quality parts from various types of metals. Employment in this position also requires finger manipulation, handling, carrying and lifting up to 35 pounds, standing, walking, contact with metals, exposure to noise and atmospheric conditions, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, hand/arm, ears and feet.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare to set-up job (e.g., production orders, first lots, tool tryouts) or run previously set-up job by reviewing work order, tie-in sheets, operator's or setup documents, blueprints or CATIA plots.
- Ensure that correct material (type and quantity) and tools or fixtures were issued and are free from visible defects.
- Identify type of set-up required. Check machine set-up and/or parts completed by previous operator to determine progress on a job and ensure safe working conditions, as required.
- Select machine accessories and holding devises (e.g., chucks, vises, turntables, templates, probes).
- Verify that apparatus is in good condition.
- Identify fixtures, shop aids, or templates to be built and fabricate as required.
- Attach machine accessories, tools, fixtures (e.g. coolant lines, air nozzles, suction devises), shop aides, and gears using dial indicators, edge finders, wrenches, bolts, clamps, and overhead cranes.
- Retrieve and download CNC programs to machine controller using computing equipment and downloading from various servers/data bases.
- Select and check cutting tools per program or CNC documents.
- Ensure cutters are the correct type, length, diameter, radius, and are in good condition.
- Load and unload cutters following program information or set-up documents, using tool holders, spindle tapers, hand tools (e.g. wrenches, mallets, spanners) and/or overhead cranes.
- Set machine coordinates or index points per CNC documents, including cutter offset/compensations, tool heights, and probes, using controller keyboard, coax indicator or digital readout; height blocks, shims and edge finders.
- Run CNC programs to machine rough and precision cut parts following NC documents.
- Adjust machine settings (e.g. speeds and feeds) to correct machining problems or to prepare machine for next operation in sequence, including; head, spindle, or wheel angles.
- Perform minor editing of CNC programs per shop requirements.
- Remove all sharp edges from part with a de-burring tool and/or file, as required.
- Perform Statistical Process Control (SPC) functions as required.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials (e.g., coolants, solvents) in approved manner (per Material Safety Data Sheets) using personal protective equipment as required.
- Monitor machine during operation for unusual vibration or sounds, watch machine gauges and controller display or digital readout for warnings, visually check cutter path, clearance, chips to ensure smooth operation.
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure parts are complete per drawing and that there are no defects (e.g., tool marks, mismatch, incorrect cutter finish).
- Maintain personal and tool certifications, as required.
- High School graduate or GED preferred.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience using precision measuring tools.
- Experience reading and interpreting assembly instructions or drawings.
- Experience as a machine operator, writing and editing CNC programs.
- Experience using a computer such as internet navigation, email, Microsoft Office and/or other specialized computer applications.
- Must have experience operating 3, 4, or 5 axis NC/CNC machine tools
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Capable of working with and around hazardous materials (while using the proper protective equipment).
Other Relevant Information and Requirements:
- This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. §120.15 is required. "US Person" includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
- Current Boeing employees working in Puget Sound and Portland must submit an Employee Request Transfer (ERT) to be considered in the eligible candidate pool. Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Workday will not be considered.
- This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement.
- Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More