Manager, Materials and Manufacturing Technology Research & DevelopmentBengaluru, Karnataka
Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T) is the preferred provider of technologies and innovation across the entire Boeing enterprise. We work across the complete product lifecycle of Boeing's commercial aircraft, military aircraft, rotorcraft, space vehicles, UAVs, and advanced vehicle prototypes. We provide innovative support for our current and future products and services, act as global scouts for innovative technologies, and solve our customers' most difficult technology challenges. Boeing Research & Technology-India (BR&T-India) is part of Boeing India Engineering & Technology Center (BIETC, based in Bangalore) focused on innovation, and developing and transitioning new technologies in support of Boeing products and services.
The Materials & Manufacturing Technologies Team at BR&T-India is seeking a highly-motivated and energetic R&D professional to be the Manager (Level K) for activities in Chemical Technologies, Metallic Materials & Processes and Manufacturing. This manager will lead a team of scientists and engineers executing an R&D portfolio that develops novel materials and manufacturing processes in line with the broader strategy of BR&T's Materials & Manufacturing Technologies team.
The duties of this leader will include (but are not limited to):
- Developing the Boeing Research & Technology India Materials & Manufacturing team technical strategy and portfolio in coordination with the broader Boeing Materials & Manufacturing Technologies Global Implementation strategy. The focus will be in the following areas:
- Surface Treatments (plating, chemical conversion coatings, primers, sacrificial coatings, top coats, etches and activation methods, alternate surface preparation for adhesive strength and sealants)
- Polymer Additive Manufacturing for tooling and aircraft interiors
- Metallic Materials and Processes (double sided incremental forming of Al alloys as well as predictive methodologies for additive manufacturing, castings, friction stir welding, and state-of-the-art metals characterization capabilities
- Managing, maintain and upgrading a state-of-the art material characterization and analytical chemistry laboratory to support local Boeing and regional Boeing needs and to support Research and Technology project
- Defining and driving a collaborative strategy with research institutions and universities in line with the technical roadmap. Pursuing a comprehensive plan to leverage local universities, research laboratories and government labs to enhance research output. Defining and driving high-leverage government and supplier engagements that benefit Boeing manufacturing.
- Directly participating in establishing and administering multiple projects. Championing the development of, approve and execute the detailed project plans, foster innovation, developing policies and procedures, providing sustained technical guidance to the projects teams, implementing proper project management methodologies, driving and monitoring execution, assessing the technical risks, ensuring performance to plan and defining the technology transition plans in partnerships with customers and stakeholders.
- Coordinating with the technical and engineering capability teams to acquire resources, and build the right team. Provide technical management of principal investigators, partners and suppliers and lead process improvements to achieve a positive impact on the productivity, delivery, cost and quality of the products and services.
- Leading, managing, developing and motivating employees in performing activities within the aforementioned manufacturing disciplines. Creating and implementing employee engagement plans with direct reports, acting on feedback and communicating progress, as well as personal development plans for all direct reports.
- Ensuring that resources are efficiently invested in line with technology roadmap. Monitoring the budget on a regular rhythm for multiple areas to ensure performance to plan.
- Being personally accountable for the team's safety.
• Master of Science degree or higher in chemistry or engineering classification, with focus on metal and alloys or composite, PhD preferred but not required
• 12+ years minimum experience industrial areas such a chemistry, materials engineering and/or related technical experience. 5+ years experience in a leadership role (team lead, manager or principal investigator)
• Experience in research and development of new products or process improvements with challenging affordability targets
• Experience in some of the following areas: chemical processing, additive manufacturing, incremental sheet forming, polymers, material testing/analysis
• Excellent communication skills and project management skills
The ideal candidate will have a mix of educational background and experience that demonstrate competencies in engineering / technology, research, people management and understanding of business.
GENERAL SKILLS: Knowledge of skills and abilities required by direct reports to accomplish organizational responsibilities. Ability to develop budgets, schedules and performance standards. Ability to build and Sustain Positive Relationships, Build and Sustain a Successful Team, Business (Operational) Acumen, Communication, Customer Focus, Decision Making, Establishing Strategic Direction, Work Standards
TECHNICAL SKILLS: Materials and Manufacturing Knowledge, Experience in R&D, Knowledge of Aerospace Design/Test/Certification Regulations, Experience with Intellectual Property Creation
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More