Materials and Process Engineer – Structures & AssemblyBengaluru, Karnataka
Boeing is the world’s leading aerospace company and the largest manufacturer of commercial jetliners and military aircraft, with capabilities in rotorcraft, electronic and defense systems, missiles, satellites, launch vehicles and advanced information and communication systems. Our reach extends to customers in 145 countries around the world, and we are the number one U.S exporter in terms of sales. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers, bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
The Boeing India Engineering and Technology Center in India is seeking a Materials and Process(M&P) Engineer to develop and support Structures and Assembly suppliers in India. This engineer will be part of the Research & Technology - Manufacturing Technology Integration (MTI) team. The MTI team works in the following technical areas associated with production processes: composites and composite part fabrication, metals and detail part fabrication, corrosion and finishes, fasteners and assembly processes. The selected engineer will support the goals and objectives of the various Boeing airplanes related design and manufacturing activities being conducted in and around India at the supplier base. These activities includes, supporting Boeing serialized production and the integration of manufacturing technologies, as well as qualification. Additionally, as Boeing grows in the region, the engineer will also support manufacturing process specification and qualification for Boeing designed parts and any new Boeing manufacturing facilities in the region.
The primary responsibility of M&P Engineer- Structures & Assembly will be to assist and develop Indian suppliers. The selected candidate will provide technical guidance to the Indian suppliers and to aid flawless execution of work placed. She/he will assist with supplier trainings, ensure supplier readiness / understanding of engineering requirements, and coordinate with US counterpart and IPT’s to ensure consistency in technical communication and expectations.
- Performing engineering and technical activities in the areas of Materials, Process & Physics at suppliers
- Providing technical management support to suppliers and leading process improvements
- Defining requirements for tools, equipment, materials, parts and processes used in the manufacture and maintenance of structures and assemblies at suppliers.
- Promoting standardization across business units at suppliers. Evaluates emerging technologies for potential application to business needs.
- Leading development and qualification of new tools, equipment, materials, parts and processes to meet requirements. Integrates new technologies as appropriate at suppliers.
- Managing test and audit programs to qualify structure, assemblies and special process suppliers to applicable requirements.
- Conducting complex analysis to determine performance or reasons for failures of tools, materials, parts or processes. Implements corrective and preventive actions at suppliers.
- Coordinating with peers in US and Boeing India Supply base on M&P related issues to support production needs at Boeing supplier production facilities.
- Assisting in production of specifications and other documents to manage the deployment of tools, equipment, materials, parts and processes. Maintains compliance with contractual and regulatory obligations.
- Aircraft Structure - Knowledge of aircraft structure, materials strengths and properties, design criteria, loading conditions, and processes (e.g. non destructive testing, corrosion prevention)
- Analytical Skills (Technical) - Skill and ability to: collect, organize, synthesize, and analyze data; summarize findings; develop conclusions and recommendations from appropriate data sources.
- Assembly Process - Knowledge of assembly and production processes, manufacturing capabilities and data needed for defining delivery configurations
- Computer Aided Design Tools - Knowledge of computer aided design tools and systems (e.g., computer aided design/computer aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM), computer aided three dimensional interactive (CATIA), Mentor Graphics, Unigraphics).
- Engineering Drawings & Specs - Ability to read, understand, and interpret engineering drawings and specifications (e.g., blueprint/schematic reading, specification, change, design).
- Engineering Processes - Knowledge of responsibilities and tasks performed by various Engineering departments/disciplines (e.g., design, test, software, technology, avionics). Knowledge of the interaction between departments/disciplines and how their products/processes affect one another and impact non-engineering processes (e.g., Operations, Logistics, Business).
- Engineering Standards - Knowledge of specification format requirements, guidelines, and change control processes. Understanding of relationship between specifications/standards and aircraft/product certification systems.
- Manufacturing Methods - Knowledge of manufacturing, methods, fabrication processes (e.g., forming, stamping, machining, heat treatment, machines/machine tools, cutting tools and fluids, N/C programming, instrumentation, data acquisition and control systems). Ability to select the best method of producing parts, tools or assemblies.
- Standard Parts - Knowledge of mechanical fastening/joining systems and associated procurement and process specifications.
- Expert Knowledge of manufacturing processes, surface finishing processes, coating and surface finishing processes. Knowledge of aerospace standards a plus.
- Prior experience with commercial airplane materials, parts, or processes with OEM or sub-tier suppliers.
- Proven ability to work in multidiscipline teaming environments
- Innovation / Creativity - Discovers new opportunities and solutions for problems by looking beyond current practices and using innovative thinking.
- Quality - Provide products and services that meet the highest technical and quality standards, regulatory requirements, and company policies and processes
- Self-starter who is not afraid to proactively seek information and direction to successfully complete the statement of work.
- Strong written, oral, presentation and interpersonal communication skills. Be fluent in written and spoken English, and familiar with MS Office tools.
- Willingness to work flexible hours (early or late as needed) to interface with Boeing personnel around the world.
Technical bachelor's degree with typically 12+ years related work experience. Master's degree preferred but not a requirement
A technical degree is defined as any four year degree, or greater, in a Mechanical, Production, manufacturing and Aerospace field of study.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified. This requisition is for an international, locally hired position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in India. Boeing will not seek immigration and labor sponsorship for any applicants; this is the responsibility of the job candidate. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S.-based payroll. RELOCATION BENEFITS IF INDICATED ARE LIMITED TO IN-COUNTRY MOVES AND ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR OVERSEAS RELOCATION. THERE IS NO EXPATRIATE PACKAGE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS POSITION.
Individual Contributor - 4
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More