Autonomous Systems Safety EngineerBristol, England; Milton Keynes, England; Yeovil, England
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defence is looking for Autonomous Systems Safety Engineer to be based in Bristol, Yeovil or Milton Keynes.
The Autonomous Systems Safety Engineer, will provide systems safety engineering expertise to internal safety engineering activities. Undertaking all systems safety activities in support of UK Safety Cases for modifications to land, sea and air platforms, systems and/or supporting equipment, as required. The Autonomous Systems Safety Engineer applies an interdisciplinary collaborative approach to plan design, develop and verify a life-cycle balanced system of systems and system solutions. Evaluates customer and operational needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and programme interfaces. Performs various analyses to optimize total system of systems and/or system architecture. The individual is able to support of the following capabilities into a preferred configuration to ensure mission success: Safety Engineering, Safety Management, Reliability, Maintainability, Testability, Human systems integration, Survivability, Vulnerability, Susceptibility, System security, Regulatory certification, Product assurance and other specialties, Quality and Human Factors.
The role has the following key responsibilities:
- Development of Operational, Product and System Safety artefacts and associated documentation in accordance with Defence Standard 00-056 for an Autonomous Systems programme such as the generation of:
- Project/Programme Safety Management Plans
- Identification of applicable legislation and regulations
- Including comparison between applicable international regulations and directives. (primarily US and EU)
- Safety assessment of synthetic training equipment design
- Including influencing the design to meet safety considerations
- Hazard Identification and Analysis including:
- Preliminary Hazard Identification
- Functional Failure Analysis
- Operating and Support Hazard Analysis
- Occupational Health Hazard Analysis
- Hazard Logs
- Safety Cases, Safety Case Reports and Safety Arguments
- Zonal Safety Assessment
- Ensure close liaison with other Boeing, customer and supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Safety Case.
- Proactively support customer safety meetings and chair System Safety Working Groups.
- Identify, monitor and execute risks, issues and opportunities and support the development of mitigation plans.
- Identify and apply appropriate safety legislation and regulations.
- Proactively support the further development, maintenance, review and update of safety process.
- Some UK, European and US travel is expected.
- Other job responsibilities may include assistance with systems engineering products for ongoing programmes and deliverables, Export Compliance (technical support of Technical Assistance Agreement (TAAs), Manufacturing License Agreement (MLAs). These include:
- Assists close liaison with other Boeing, customer and supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Safety Case. Support customer safety meetings and System Safety Working Groups, including the development and review of effective standard work to provide 1st quality inputs.
- Assist the programme planning and support for safety activities.
- Proactively support the further development, maintenance, review and update of safety processes.
This position allows telecommuting and does not require applicants to live in Bristol, Yeovil or Milton Keynes full-time.
Employer will not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE.
Preferred Qualifications (Skills, Education, and Experience):
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent.
- Formal system safety training.
- Demonstrable experience leading and developing Safety Assessments for aircraft training and associated synthetic training systems.
- Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of Def Stan 00-056, POSMS and POEMS.
- Experience developing Safety Management Systems and in-service management of Safety Cases, and Hazard Logs.
- Experience with the use of common safety tools, such as CASSANDRA, Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment.
- Experience of identifying and applying appropriate safety legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead on the planning of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility.
- Able to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans.
- Able to coordinate with the appropriate leaders and team members.
- The candidate should possess strong communication skills, technical competency, and skills with project management concepts/tools.
- The role will have significant UK MOD customer, supplier and wider Boeing interface and therefore a person who is diplomatic whilst being strong minded is essential.
- Familiarisation with FsAST and MAA safety policy and requirements in a military aircraft context.
- Platform or system experience and product knowledge of UK military aircraft is highly desirable.
- Completed or working towards a post graduate qualification in System Safety Engineering is highly desirable.
- Previous experience of synthetic training equipment safety management would be highly desirable.
Important information regarding this requisition: This position does not have sponsorship approval. This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOUR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
This position does not offer relocation.
Contingent Upon Program Award
Yes, this position is contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.