Lead Project Engineer (RD&S)Bristol, England; Yeovil, England; Frimley, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
BDUK is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,200 people in the UK. BDUK is responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK Defence customers including E-7 AEW&C, P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISTAR Services, Through Life Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services.
This post is for a Lead Project Engineer reporting to the BDUK Project Engineering Manager. The role will assist the BDUK Engineering Research, Development and Strategy (RD&S) Senior Leader in the coordination and delivery of RD&S capability objectives, ensuring that assigned activities are appropriately coordinated, managed and reported. This role will involve cross functional working with multiple BDUK business areas, and is primarily based in Bristol although other BDUK office locations may be considered. Options also exist for hybrid working.
Examples of Typical Responsibilities:
- Providing coordination to engineering teams representing multiple skill areas, which may include internal and external resources and customers.
- Planning, monitoring, tracking and co-ordination of key activities that the RD&S department needs to undertake in order to meet the business drumbeat e.g. Technical roadmap refresh cycle activities, activities related to the strategic planning cycle (like Internal Research and Development (IRAD) submissions).
- Planning, monitoring and tracking of IRAD projects across the IRAD portfolio, and co-ordinating / collating reporting from the project leads/owners for inputs into Function and Business level reviews.
- Developing and maintaining Statements of Work (SOWs) to satisfy project requirements.
- Identifying metrics and reporting to leadership in order to provide a status of functional performance.
- Supporting individual IRAD project owners with project planning and tracking if required.
- Supporting the planning of future functional growth needs and opportunities.
- Providing systems engineering effort and coordination to IRAD projects.
- Leading/coordinating user needs / requirements gathering activities.
- Coordinating project execution to complete the work statement, and ensuring that the engineering leadership team are aware of programme milestones and objectives.
- Comparing actual results to baseline plans to assess project performance, efficiencies, productivity and lessons learned.
- Planning, identifying, and coordinating resources required to support the programme through the management of functional resource requirements and reporting into weekly reviews.
- Cost Account Management (CAM) Responsibilities for Engineering functions.
- Responding to changes to SOW, assessing the impact and negotiating proposed changes to determine modifications to deliverables, resources, costs and schedules.
- Leading the tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and quality processes.
- Contributing to Continuous Improvement.
- Risk, Issues and Opportunities management.
- Leading/coordinating Bids and Proposals.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- A Degree level (or equivalent) qualification in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or an engineering related field, with experience in requirements management for systems and / or services.
- Experience in Project Planning and Management; Excellent SE knowledge and skills; Good IT skills; Excellent Customer Facing Skills.
- Registration with the Engineering Council as an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer (IEng or CEng), or have the ability to work towards IEng/CEng.
- Experience at representing an organisation at Customer Working Groups.
- Experience in stakeholder management, both upstream and downstream.
- Knowledge and experience in early product lifecycle phases (R&D concept studies for example)
Work Authorisation: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship.
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award