Senior Manager - Engineering - BDUKBristol, England
This post is for a senior manager to work within the engineering function in Boeing Defence UK (BDUK). BDUK is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,500 people in the UK. BDUK is responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK Defence customers including E-7 AEW&C aircraft, P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISTAR Services, through-life support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services
We are looking for a Senior Manager / Chief Engineer BDUK to join our dynamic and growing engineering team to lead the delivery of engineering product and support to meet BDUK’s expanding portfolio. The post has direct responsibility for a team of Chief and Lead Engineers who manage the delivery of engineering products and services to individual fixed-wing programmes, rotary-wing programmes, autonomous systems programmes and the associated assurance activities. The successful candidate will report to Director Engineering and will liaise directly with senior programme management, fellow Chief Engineers across the Boeing Enterprise and customer equivalents to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of engineering support to meet customer contracted requirements.
The Chief Engineer BDUK is required to lead and coordinate a multi-disciplinary engineering team to deliver engineering products and service across a programme lifecycle in accordance with contractual and MAA regulatory requirements. The role requires the direct coordination across multi-disciplined engineering capability teams as well as coordination across other functions to ensure flawless engineering delivery to the customer. Integrated working with Boeing counterparts in the US and beyond is an essential part of the role.
As Chief Engineer BDUK, you will lead a team of senior engineers and managers who:
- Are each responsible for the Safety and Product Integrity of their platform/programme
- Have final Responsibility, Accountability and Authority for the specification, configuration, design and certification/verification (including all changes)
- Are the lead for Regulatory issues and Military Aviation Authority or other appropriate regulators relationship for their programme
- Are the Customer Technical Interface for their programme
- Are the Senior Engineering leader for their programme, providing the coordinating interface which integrates the variety of engineering capabilities with other functions and programme leadership.
- Promote Engineering Excellence and the First Time Quality across all engineering functions.
- Ensure technical conduct, progress, performance and results are executed in compliance with programme requirements, plans, programme charter and assigned Responsibility, Accountability & Authority.
- Provide senior technical leadership for BDUK programmes and associated proposals and be the senior technical interface to customers and suppliers.
- Provide an effective link between design, production and in-service activity.
- Establish a culture of proactive technical oversight, risk management and rapid issue resolution, providing alternative paths for issue resolution and opening dialogue on technical issues.
- Implement and enforce engineering functional excellence in people, processes, tools, and practices; drive productivity improvements through the use of Continuous Improvement disciplines; and share Best Practices and Lessons Learned. Furthermore, the Chief Engineer shall establish a culture of ‘help needed’ within the technical community, advocating Mission Assurance, Technical Independent Reviews, Non Advocate Reviews, and ensuring technical expertise across the enterprise are made available as required.
- Work with programme and other functional management to ensure successful delivery of Engineering products and services as part of each programme’s integrated execution.
- Chair technical reviews and boards and ensure effective support to Mission Assurance activities.
- Ensure overall Technical Integrity of all engineering products.
- Act as mentor and coach to peers and the wider engineering team.
What We're Looking for:
- Proven experience as a senior manager in a dynamic and complex technical environment involving large multi-disciplined teams.
- A significant leadership background is required with demonstrated experience both leading and developing teams, delivering results in a complex matrix environment in support of business and mission critical requirements.
- Significant experience operating within the MAA regulatory environment or civil equivalent is essential.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in an engineering discipline or closely related technical field is essential. Higher level engineering qualification preferred.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) and corporate membership of appropriate professional institution (e.g. IET, RAeS) essential.
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More