Senior Systems Engineer - Digital Services TransformationBristol, England; Yeovil, England; Frimley, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defence UK (BDUK) is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,400 people in the UK. We are responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK defence customers including new capabilities like the E-7 AEW&C and the P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISR Services, Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services and are very much in a growth phase.
As a BDUK employee, you will have access to flexible and virtual working arrangements, benefits packages, employee incentive programs and study assistance. You will also have access to many resources that you will be able to access in order to inform and support your development throughout your career with us. The primary location for our DST Engineering team is Bristol, with the general expectation of 2 – 3 days a week in the office to foster collaboration and team efficiency. We will also consider applicants who may prefer to be based out of our Yeovil and Frimley offices.
BDUK currently provides a Supply Chain Information Service (SCIS) systems and services to the MOD, aiming to improve the reliability and capability of the UK military’s logistic information landscape, delivering engineering, supply chain and business intelligence information. It replaced more than 120 legacy contracts and included the transfer of staff from the MOD to Boeing. BDUK intends to continue working in this area and, aiming towards future solutions for the customer, enhancing all aspects of the system and user experience. The MOD name for this programme of work is Digital Services Transformation (DST).
The DST Systems Engineering role is fundamental in translating customer, user and stakeholder needs/requirements along with technologies into appropriate solutions and will require the successful candidate to work in and/or manage multidisciplinary teams, leading to proposal generation, design then development of deliverable solutions. They will also provide Systems Engineering support and expertise across all stages of the project lifecycle.
While we work in agile and dynamic engineering environments, your wellbeing is important to us and we strive to find a healthy life balance and ethical team culture with a strong emphasis on openness, collaboration, innovation, safety and first-time quality.
Responsibilities will likely include:
- Translation of user needs into deliverable requirements and specifications
- Development of technical roadmaps aligned to both customer and business needs
- Understanding of UX strategy and design
- Stakeholder engagement and management
- Experience of facilitating user research workshops and conducting depth interviews
- Design of the User Journey
- Human Factors best practice understanding and application
- Conceptual understanding of data analytics
- Development of solutions using techniques such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and Trade Studies;
- Managing technical baselines (e.g. requirements, performance measures, solution) including configuration and change control, working with parties from across the global Boeing Enterprise;
- Development of systems engineering artefacts (e.g. management plans, schedules, reports);
- Leading of technical management and governance tasks (metrics, reporting, team tasking, risk/issue/opportunity management)
- Collaboration with and reporting to Customer representatives and our global Boeing partners
- Leading technical problem solving and risk mitigation/issue resolution activities;
- Managing the workload of a team of engineers to achieve a technical objective;
- Being considered the focal/expert in one or more elements of Systems Engineering for the programme
- The tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and quality processes; and contributing to Continuous Improvement
- Generation of plans and associated artefacts to perform Integration, Test, Evaluation and Acceptance (ITEA) activities.
You may also get the opportunity to work on a variety of other programmes, business development opportunities and contribute to engineering excellence across the company as part of your ongoing career development with Boeing.
Aside from your technical work you there is the potential to support company initiatives, for example, quality improvements, promoting a safety culture, promoting Diversity and Inclusion, mentoring and coaching, STEM outreach and a number of focus projects to support the growth of the company including its employees.
Required Experience and skills:
- Experience of Customer, partner and wider stakeholder management
- Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills
- An ability to effectively communicate written technical information
- Significant applied experience across the elements of Systems Engineering, with you considering yourself an expert in one of more of the following: requirements development and management; interface management; system architectures; MBSE integration of specialties; Verification and Validation; technical governance and risk/issue
- Good proficiency in the setting up and usage of one of more of IBM DOORS or similar, or MBSE tools such as CAMEO or Enterprise Architect
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills
- Experience of showing the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse teams
- A "drive to action" approach with the ability to be resilient and flexible in a fast-paced environment
- An understanding of IT infrastructure
- An appreciation of other engineering technical areas, including Safety, Security and Quality
- Proficient office IT skills.
- Experience of leading work packages or integrated project teams from a technical perspective
- Experience in some of the following areas: C4ISTAR, Air Platforms, Mission Systems, Communications Systems and Networks, Training Systems and Training Related Technology.
A degree level (or equivalent) qualification in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or an Engineering related field and already be, or aspire to be, a Chartered Engineer with a recognised professional body such as the Institute of Engineering and Technology or the Royal Aeronautical Society (preferred, not essential).
Work Authorisation: This position does not have sponsorship approval. This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants.
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship.
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award