Technical Lead Engineer (E-7 Ground Support System)Bristol, England; Yeovil, England; Frimley, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defence UK (BDUK) is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,400 people in the UK. We are responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK defence customers including new capabilities like the E-7 AEW&C and the P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISR Services, Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services and are very much in a growth phase.
As a BDUK employee, you will have access to flexible and virtual working arrangements, benefits packages, employee incentive programs and study assistance. You will also have access to many resources that you will be able to access in order to inform and support your development throughout your career with us.
While we work in agile and dynamic engineering environments, your wellbeing is important to us and we strive to find a healthy life balance and ethical team culture with a strong emphasis on openness, collaboration, innovation, safety and first-time quality.
The E-7 programme comprises several service lines (i.e. workstreams) spanning both the air and ground segments. We require a Technical Lead Engineer to be responsible for the development of the mission systems and training devices that make up the Ground Support Segment. The Technical Lead Engineer role requires the direct Technical coordination of all GSS assigned engineering personnel to the E-7 programme as well as the co-ordination with other functions to ensure technical excellence and first-time quality engineering delivery to the E-7 customer throughout the initial requirements, design and delivery of the Ground Support Segment – Simulators and development and verification labs. The teams involved will have backgrounds such as software, training systems, security, safety, environmental, certification and airworthiness, and design.
We are looking for someone who has experience of delivering high quality, technically complex and challenging defence engineering projects who can be a focal to the responsible engineers who head up each IPT and their wider teams, providing advice, assistance and the ability to scrutinise output as they execute their work whilst communicating and satisfying the broad range of stakeholders involved. They will also be expected to continue to support and augment the pre-existing team culture and dynamics to ensure the team continue to perform their work efficiently and effectively.
Reporting to the GSS Chief Programme Engineer, the role will work side by side with the Engineering Programme Manager, who will be responsible for co-ordinating cost, schedule, tasking, Risk, Issue and Opportunity Management, navigating business governance, and reporting.
E-7 is an international programme with key partners being Boeing Defence, Space and Security, based in the USA, and Boeing Defence Australia. You will be part of our ongoing collaboration with these business units, and this provides opportunities for travel for short- or longer-term periods if desired. The primary location for our E-7 Engineering team is Bristol, with the general expectation of 2 – 3 days a week in the office to foster collaboration and team efficiency with the remainder from home if desired.
Responsibilities will likely include:
- Ownership of compliance at the contract boundary for Engineering Statement of Work and also into Supplier Statement of Works;
- Supervising teams in the development of solutions, architectures and design using techniques such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), Concept of Operations and Trade Studies;
- Ensuring that the output generated by the teams meets the expected quality from a technical perspective;
- Leading technical problem solving and risk mitigation/issue resolution activities;
- Ensuring technical baselines are appropriately managed (e.g. requirements, performance measures, solution) including configuration and change control, working with parties from across the global Boeing Enterprise;
- Development of systems engineering artefacts for which the Technical Lead Engineer has responsibility (e.g. management plans, technical reports, estimates);
- Providing input to, and leading technical management and governance tasks (metrics, reporting, team tasking, risk/issue/opportunity management);
- Collaboration with and reporting to Customer representatives and our global Boeing partners including being the Product Technical interface to customer and managing cross-entity technical dependencies;
- Monitoring and influencing Tech Roadmaps and associate opportunities;
- Ensuring that Service Support Design is considered as part of the wider development of the sustainment service work package;
- Co-ordination and control of secure environments;
- Managing the workload of a team of engineers to achieve a technical objective; and
- The tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and quality processes; and contributing to Continuous Improvement;
You may also get the opportunity to work on a variety of other programmes, business development opportunities and contribute to engineering excellence across the company as part of your ongoing career development with Boeing.
Aside from your technical work you there is the potential to support company initiatives, for example, quality improvements, promoting a safety culture, promoting Diversity and Inclusion, mentoring and coaching, STEM outreach and a number of focus projects to support the growth of the company including its employees.
Required Background and Experience:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: C4ISTAR, Air Platforms, Mission Systems, Communications Systems and Networks, Training Systems and Training Related Technology;
- Ability to guide and lead teams in the appropriate implementation of Systems Engineering methods (requirements, architecture/solution definition, speciality integration, verification and validation) with tailored approaches to suit the situation.
- Significant experience of Customer and wider stakeholder management, with demonstrable results in getting solutions through the acceptance process with the UK MOD;
- Experience of leading multiple, simultaneous work packages and/or integrated project teams from a technical perspective with a focus on providing quality output;
- Excellent technical risk identification, with associated mitigation definition and problem-solving skills with a drive towards continuous improvement;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with geographically dispersed and diverse teams;
- A "drive to action" approach with the ability to be resilient and flexible in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills, with an understanding of how to ensure an appropriate culture is maintained in a team;
- An ability to effectively communicate written technical information; and
- Proficient office IT skills.
- Experience in developing, delivering and/or managing systems/services – ideally in a Software or Simulator co-ordination and development background.
A degree level (or equivalent) qualification in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or an Engineering related field and already be, or aspire to be, a Chartered Engineer with a recognised professional body such as the Institute of Engineering and Technology or the Royal Aeronautical Society (preferred, not essential).
Work Authorisation: This position does not have sponsorship approval. This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
- Software Engineering Intern Gdansk, Pomerania, Poland 07/01/2022
- Business University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- Engineering University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- IT University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
No recently viewed jobs. View All Opportunities