Human Factors Design Engineer
We’re looking for Data Scientists who can harness the power of data to help us create new innovations in aerospace. You’ll use advanced analytics to build the future.
of the time
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Data Science employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons, certification courses and degree-seeking programs.
12 weeks paid parental leave.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions (up to 11 percent!).
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM-studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Human Factors Design Engineer
Aurora Flight Sciences’ Humans and Autonomy Group, based in the Research and Technology Center in Cambridge, MA, supports the design and evaluation of user interfaces for autonomous and unmanned vehicles
The Autonomy Research Division was formed to address a growing research area at Aurora. Specifically, ARD applies select disciplines to the development of advanced autonomous systems, supporting levels of autonomy ranging from unmanned aircraft to optionally-piloted aircraft and human-automation teaming within the flight deck.
Aurora Flight Sciences’ Humans and Autonomy Group, based in the Research and Technology Center in Cambridge, MA, supports the design and evaluation of user interfaces for autonomous and unmanned vehicles. We’re looking for bright, talented, and experienced human factor engineers that enjoy working with interdisciplinary teams of engineers who want to develop the next generation of user interfaces for intelligent systems.
Candidates will be expected to support the following:
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, including experts in robotics, autonomy, aerodynamics, flight controls, structures, flight testing, and human factors to develop user interfaces for human-robot and human-autonomy interaction.
- Incorporate human factors, human systems, and cognitive engineering elements into current and future research and development programs. Apply expertise in knowledge elicitation, systems engineering, user interface design, human subjects testing, training programs, and procedures in support of developing new interface systems and methodologies.
- Develop designs and software requirements for innovative user interfaces, potentially including novel interface modalities (e.g. augmented reality, speech interaction) for human interaction with robotics and autonomous systems. Support software architecture definition for those systems.
- Support compilation of materials for customer reports and periodically support proposal writing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factors Engineering, or other appropriate engineering field with a Human Factors concentration.
- 3 years of demonstrated experience developing complex human-in-the-loop systems.
- Experience applying design and cognitive engineering principles to relevant aerospace problems.
- Technical background in user interface design, autonomous systems, robotics, human-computer interaction, and/or machine learning.
- Demonstrated success in a highly collaborative environment
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills
- Must be a US Person (US Citizen or US Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder).
- M.S. or PhD in Human Factors Engineering, or other appropriate engineering field with a Human Factors concentration.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience developing complex human-in-the-loop systems.
- Experience in software architecting and software implementation. Experience with Java, iOS, and Android are all desirable.
- Experience with standard systems engineering practices (requirements definition, risk identification and management, fault tree generation, FMECA, etc.)
Occasionally required to travel for reviews, customer meetings, etc.
Occasionally required to work non-business hours to support experiments and travel to customer sites
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.