Stability & Control EngineerCambridge, Massachusetts
As part of the Aerodynamics and Performance Group, the candidate will serve as a member of a team dedicated to developing and testing novel air-vehicle systems (fixed wing, VTOL, and rotary wing). The candidate will be part of a small integrated team designing and developing air vehicles and will be expected to assess the air vehicle aerodynamic characteristics in support of flight stability and control, performance modeling and flight control design. The primary product line for design activities will be next generation air-vehicles applicable for both commercial and military use.
- Determine aircraft stability and control derivatives and propulsion models for use in air vehicle simulations using a range of aerodynamic modeling tools
- Provide assessments of vehicle-level stability and control characteristics in support of vehicle layout and control surface sizing
- Prepare and maintain aerodynamic databases for complex air vehicles
- Estimate control forces required to size actuation systems
- Support wind tunnel testing and data reduction for incorporation into aerodynamic databases and simulation models
- Support flight test data analysis
- BS in Aeronautics or Aerospace Engineering (preferably MS) with more than 4 years of experience (or equivalent education).
- Experience with stability and control and aerodynamic design and analysis tools, including DATCOM, ESDU, and vortex lattice methods.
- Demonstrated ability to use MATLAB, Python, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Must be willing to relocate to MA or VA and work onsite. Remote work not accepted.
- Proficient at developing aircraft performing trade studies related to stability and control. Familiarity in the creation of aerodynamic databases (models of aircraft dynamics).
- MUST be a US Citizen and must be able to obtain a SECRET level security clearance.
- Strong ability to communicate and write in English and a broad knowledge of aeronautical sciences.
- Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience in the modeling and analysis of advanced air-vehicle systems including stability and control
- Experience with RANS CFD solvers such as STAR-CCM, FUN3D, OVERFLOW.
- Experience with the aerodynamic design and analysis tools such as TRANAIR, XFOIL, MSES, XROTOR, AVL, ASWING, XFLR5, OpenVSP or similar tools.
- Experience with flight and wind tunnel test monitoring and data reduction to support stability and control analysis and certification efforts.
- Experience and interest in the design and modeling next generation manned and unmanned air vehicles (both electric and heavy-fuel based)
- Experiencing mentoring other engineers and planning work approaches.
- Ability to support some travel.
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More