Image ScientistChantilly, Virginia
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) organization is seeking an experienced Image Scientist to join the Space & Launch Engineering Program in the Chantilly, VA area. This position is in a production environment, working closely with Image Scientists and Payload Systems Engineers, supporting advanced analytical capabilities, where customer focus, teamwork, and communication are critical.
Duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Analyzing data and engineering support, and processing algorithms collected by sensors on intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) platforms
- Develops and validates requirements for various complex communication, sensor, electronic warfare and other electromagnetic systems and components
- Develops and validates electromagnetic requirements for electrical\electronic systems, mechanical systems, interconnects and structures
- Develops architectures to integrate complex systems and components into higher level systems and platforms
- Performs complicated trade studies, modeling, simulation and other forms of analysis to predict component, interconnects and system performance and to optimize design around established requirements
- Defines and conducts critical tests of various kinds to validate performance of designs to requirements
- Manages appropriate aspects of critical supplier and partner performance to ensure compliance to requirements
- Provides support to products throughout their lifecycle from manufacturing to customer use by providing guidance and support to resolve complex issues
- Supports project management by providing coordinating development of work statement, budget, schedule and other required inputs and conducting appropriate reviews
- Generates major sections of proposals to support development of new business
This position may include 24x7 work schedules on as needed basis to support program requirements
This position requires an active Top Secret / SCI U.S. Security Clearance. (US Citizenship Required). (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active)
This position is contingent on program approval.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills / Experience):
- Active Top Secret / SCI U.S. Security Clearance with Poly (Pre-Start).
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Coursework and / or work experience with sensor imaging systems, products, and exploitation processes
- Coursework and / or work experience with Unix and Windows based workstations, various COTS packages including tools for product creation, modification and off-line analysis of image data
- Experience in interpreting results from onboard and offline algorithms and automated processors in order to address intelligence requirements
- Ability to design, develop, integrate and maintain new software functionality
- Experience with overhead infrared sensor data to include sensor characterization, data analysis, sensor modeling, signature extraction and exploitation, and/or algorithm development
- Understanding and application of standard software engineering principles
- Coursework and / or work experience with various imaging systems (i.e. HSI, EO, Radar, IR, LIDAR, SIGINT principles, etc), phenomenology and processing techniques
- Coursework and / or work experience with the following: ENVI, SOCET GXP, Agility, Matlab, IDL, and Unix
- Ability to support 24x7 work schedules on as needed basis, to support program requirements
Typical Education / Experience:
Typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position is located in Chantilly, VA and does not offer relocation assistance. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
What you'll do here
Whether you’re a software engineer, systems engineer or cyber analyst, help Boeing solve tough mission challenges and create solutions that contribute to the security of the nation. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More