Boeing Research & Technology Graduate ResearcherCharleston, South Carolina; Seattle, Washington; Huntsville, Alabama; Auburn, Washington; Bridgeton, Missouri; Berkeley, Missouri; Huntington Beach, California; Hazelwood, Missouri; Tukwila, Washington; North Charleston, South Carolina
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
To ensure compliance with President Biden’s September 9, 2021 executive order, Boeing is implementing a new requirement for U.S.-based employees to either show proof of being fully vaccinated from COVID-19, or have an approved reasonable accommodation (based on a disability/medical condition or sincerely held religious belief) exempting them from the requirement, by December 8, 2021 (timing may vary in some states). Individuals who are unable to meet COVID-19 requirements due to a disability/medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may apply for a reasonable accommodation during the post-offer process. Individuals with approved accommodations will be subject to frequent COVID-19 testing.
Boeing has implemented a new COVID-19 Vaccination Policy in Australia that requires all new Boeing Australia hires to show proof of being fully vaccinated from COVID-19, or have an approved medical exception by 3 December 2021. For Victorian based employees, the compliance date is 26 November 2021.
All other global Boeing locations do not have a vaccination requirement at this time.
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Join our exclusive Graduate Researcher Program (GRP) in Boeing Research & Technology during the summer of 2022 and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world. Boeing Research & Technology is Boeing's global research and development team creating and implementing innovative technologies that make the impossible possible and enabling the future of aerospace. We are engineers, skilled scientists and thinkers, bold innovators and dreamers.
You will work with other Boeing engineers in a mentoring and collaborative mode in order to address research and development challenges. You are expected to have the ability to analyze and develop solutions to complex problems, have good team collaboration and good communication skills.
Over the course of the 10-12 week program you will have the opportunity to:
- Work directly with a mentor in your field of study while finding solutions to real world problems
- Experience our products up close by touring our state-of-the-art manufacturing and research facilities
- Interact directly with our company leaders to discuss strategy and the future of Boeing
- Build a lasting professional network through social events and engaging activities
- Gain the skills and knowledge to become a future leader in the aerospace industry
The following BR&T positions are available for the 2022 GRP program. When applying, please identify the positions you are interested in and qualified for.
- Applied Mathematics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Composite Materials and Manufacturing
- Guidance, Navigation, Control, and Autonomy
- Manufacturing Systems and Simulation
- Materials & Chemical Engineering
- Next Generation Metals Technology Manufacturing
- Non-Destructive Evaluation & Measurement
- Quantum Technology
- RF and Microwave Design
Other Job Related Information / Qualifications:
Aerodynamics: Join a team that develops and applies advanced aerodynamic analysis tools and processes. Our first potential project is working a wide variety of flight platforms across the speed range, ranging from low-speed/high-lift to supersonic flight. The products and services of this group cover the complete product life cycle of Boeing's commercial and military aircraft and advanced vehicle concepts. The selected candidate will help the development of aerodynamic analysis and optimization tools and processes with the goal of increasing fidelity while reducing cycle time and cost. The second potential project is with a team focusing on aerodynamics, aero-thermodynamics, aero-acoustics, aero-elasticity, wind tunnel testing and computational aerodynamics. The selected candidate will participate in studies the group has underway - both internal and external. Assignments will include upgrading of aerodynamic analysis tools and processes, support to wind-tunnel testing, application of computational fluid dynamics to aerodynamic analysis, and aircraft performance estimation.
- Strong fluid dynamics background in compressible flows and turbulence modeling
- Fundamental knowledge of computational fluid dynamics
- Experience with numerical algorithms
- The candidate should be capable of analyzing aerodynamic flow-field and extracting engineering data
- Background in compressible and/or incompressible fluid dynamics and turbulence
- Background in range of numerical methods appropriate for unstructured grid CFD
- Background in scientific programming and code development (e.g. C, FORTRAN, C++ and CUDA or similar GPU language)
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix.
- Familiarity with aircraft, wing, airfoil and component aerodynamics
- Knowledge of aerodynamic analysis, wind tunnel testing, computational aerodynamic tools
- Knowledge of use of engineering analysis tools such as Matlab, Tecplot, Fieldview and other similar software is highly desired
Applied Mathematics: We are looking for candidates with the ability to analyze diverse applied mathematical and statistical opportunities that arise in a large enterprise, including but not limited to applying statistical analysis, operations research, geometric modeling, and optimization to business and engineering applications. The selected candidate must have the ability to grasp business and engineering problems, formulate, analyze, interpret and communicate results to the business and engineering communities. An ideal candidate will have a passion for the applying mathematical and statistical methods to solve real world opportunities.
- Software programming skills and knowledge of at least one programming language such as Python, C, C++, R or experience with modeling & simulation, mathematics, or statistics software
Artificial Intelligence: We are looking for motivated Artificial Intelligence Graduate Student Researchers with at least three of the following experiences: programming, data understanding and processing, machine learning development, software/neural networks verification and validation. The selected candidate will assist in R&D and rapidly prototype advanced computing technologies for aerospace products and services. The candidate will be comfortable taking initiative, learning by experience; they will possess an interest in personal learning, seek feedback from others, and create innovative ideas.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program involving AI/ML research or application
- Experience in developing and deploying software programs
- Experience in developing and evaluating learned models, including data prep
- Experience with scripting languages for prototyping such as Python, MATLAB, and R
- Experience with programming languages such as C++, C, and Java
- Experience with software/neural networks analysis, testing, simulation, verification and validation
Composite Materials and Manufacturing: The Next Generation Composites team develops new composite materials, fabrication technologies, and analysis tools. We use cutting edge technologies to provide solutions to Boeing commercial, defense, services, and space customers. Our technologies are also implemented at external government organizations such as the Air Force, NASA, the Navy, Army, and DARPA.
- Currently pursuing an Engineering Ph.D. in a field related to composites materials and processes
- A degree in materials science, chemical, mechanical, manufacturing, industrial, or aerospace engineering, chemistry, physics, or similar & industry experience is preferred
- Experience with composites, process modeling, design, cost modeling, polymers, tooling
- Hands on experience with CAD
- Experience with manufacturing equipment, structural composite prepreg, structural composite bonding, and composites modeling is preferred
Guidance, Navigation, Control, and Autonomy: The selected candidate will participate in work that involves aspects from problem solving, design, coding / implementation, mathematical modeling and simulation, testing, and analysis. The selected candidate will carry out experiment design, testing, and results analysis as well as prepare reports and give presentations.
- Experience with dynamic system modeling and simulation, control system design and analysis theory and methods, estimation, optimization, advanced mathematics, Monte Carlo analysis, MATLAB, Simulink, C or C++, object oriented design, system architecture, and autonomous systems
- Some familiarity with machine learning, AI, probabilistic reasoning and decision making, or messaging standards and service oriented architectures is a plus
Manufacturing Systems and Simulation: The selected candidate will develop software and system solutions for the automation of aerospace manufacturing processes. Potential projects include modeling of automated assembly or fabrication processes, development of controls for robotic systems, modeling of production data and development of automated process controls.
- Strong software development skills for controls and data, and experience in developing process models
- Experience with machining and manufacturing assembly is preferred
Materials & Chemical Engineering: We are looking for a driven candidate with hands-on chemical or materials research and development lab experience, demonstrated knowledge of designed experiments methodology, and willingness, as needed, to travel and handle some daily schedule variations (start and end times).
- Interest in working in at least one of the following specialties: materials/chemical modelling, anodize, plating, corrosion mitigation/testing, thermal spray, paints/coatings
- Experience in a lab or production environment, with hands-on chemical or materials experience (internships or regular employment)
- Good communication skills (oral and written)
Next Generation Metals Technology Manufacturing: The selected candidate will have some knowledge in metals fabrication technologies (machining) and an even stronger interest in growing one’s career in this technology space.
- Mechanical, Manufacturing or Aerospace Engineering with an emphasis on Machine Dynamics or Vibrations is preferred
- Some knowledge of Model Based Engineering tools, e.g., CAD, Matlab, Abaqas, and computer programming
Non-Destructive Evaluation & Measurement: The selected candidate will have a desire to learn Non-Destructive Evaluation and Measurement. We are looking for a candidate with experience or background in Nondestructive Evaluation. They must have an understanding of basic analysis techniques to determine performance or reasons for failures of tools, materials, parts or processes. The selected candidate will be able to develop basic computer and production systems to satisfy user requirements, along with the use of project management tools.
- Knowledge of non-destructive evaluation processes (e.g., ultrasonic testing, radiography, eddy current testing, penetrant inspection)
- Knowledge of measurement systems (e.g., photogrammetry, coordinate measuring machines, laser tracker, laser radar, laser alignment, portable measurement tools)
Quantum Technology: The selected candidate will work with one of Boeing’s quantum research teams to design prototype systems for eventual use in non-laboratory environments. Specific tasks will likely include design (system trade studies, component selection, detailed electrical, optical, or mechanical design using EDA/CAD/multiphysics tools), modeling (thermal, electrical, mechanical or multiphysics model development and validation, control software modeling and coding), assembly (component assembly and integration), test (component acceptance testing, performance testing, or specialty environmental testing), and analysis of data developed or acquired in other tasks.
- Currently enrolled in a graduate research program in physics, electrical (especially low-temperature electronics), optical, photonic, or related engineering field
- Focus of research studies is related to quantum sensor, computing, or networking hardware
- Experience using typical computer aided design or modeling (CAD/CAM) tools, electronic design automation (EDA) tools for microelectronics layout and modeling, and/or typical prototyping software languages (Python, C/C++, MATLAB, etc) is preferred
- Laboratory experience is preferred, including experience designing, building, or using data acquisition hardware and software
RF and Microwave Design: The selected candidate will support phased array antenna design and analysis for communication, sensor, electronic warfare and satellite systems. They will perform RF and microwave circuit design and characterization using modeling and simulation tools as well as laboratory measurements. They will develop and validate electromagnetic requirements for electrical\electronic systems, mechanical systems, interconnects and structures. The candidate will perform trade studies, modeling, simulation and other forms of analysis to predict component, interconnects and system performance and to optimize design around established requirements. They will define and conduct tests to validate performance of designs to requirements.
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program studying RF and microwave circuit design or conducting research in state of the art active electronically scanned array antenna technology or RF/EO/IR sensor systems
- Some combination of the following skills are necessary:
- RF passive and active circuit design including transmission line, distribution network, printed circuit board and MMIC
- Electronic packaging including circuit layout in AutoCAD or Mentor Graphics
- Experience with full wave electromagnetic simulation software such as HFSS, FEKO, CST Studio or other similar applications
- Experience with circuit analysis tools such as ADS, Microwave Office, OrCAD, or other similar tools
- System analysis and simulation with Excel, Matlab, Simulink
- DSP development using Xilinx or Intel FPGAs
- RF and microwave measurement and testing techniques with vector network analyzer and precision probe station, and the ability to use a wide variety of laboratory test equipment
Structures: The selected candidate will work on applications of structural analysis methods with the St. Louis based Structures Transition team developing and applying advanced analysis methods in the areas of additive manufactured structures, composite structures, and emerging structural concepts. The selected candidate will have exposure to and experience with commercial FE tool such as Abaqus/CAE, Nastran, Hyperworks, and/or LS-Dyna and will implement analysis using these tools.
- A basic understanding of aircraft structures and structural analysis including fatigue/fracture
- Development of mechanical test requirements and plans may be required
- Problems of interest include design for additive manufacturing, prediction of performance and certification of additive manufactured structure, applied topology optimization for generating novel architectures, and advanced composite analysis including impact simulation.
Join us and put your passion, determination, and skill to work building the future.
These positions are in multiple U.S. locations and may or may not be covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Some of these positions are expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate may be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
Some of these positions allow telecommuting. The selected candidate may be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
Some of these positions have been identified as virtual opportunities and do not require applicants to live in close proximity to a Boeing facility.
Some of these positions require the ability to obtain access to a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) facility.
Employer will not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Basic Qualifications for all positions (Required Skill/Experience):
- Currently enrolled at an accredited college or university pursuing a Doctorate degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field of study OR currently enrolled at an accredited college or university pursuing a Master's degree (on a PhD track) in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field
- The ability to work a minimum of 10 weeks (12 weeks preferred) during the summer of 2022
- Some positions must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
- Some positions require the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship. An interim and/or final U.S. Secret Clearance Post-Start is required.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
These positions are in multiple U.S. locations and may or may not be covered by a collective bargaining agreement. In locations where SPEEA representation applies, this job family will be covered by the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. Applicable and appropriate educational/certification credentials from an accredited institution and/or equivalent experience is required.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.