Lead Actuation Design EngineerDetroit, Michigan
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the sea bed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Company Airplane Systems team is looking for a Lead Actuation Design Engineer to join the team in designing actuation system components for our current and future commercial airplane product line. Our organization has design, analysis, and certification responsibility for actuation and valve design for all current and future Boeing commercial and defense products. Over the product lifecycle, we develop systems from the conceptual stage with high-level requirements to specific architectures and parts producing specific functionality. Various analysis tools and methods including modeling and simulation are used to mature the system definition which includes the functional and physical integration of the system and components into complex aircraft. The team also has responsibility for new technology development to ensure that Boeing continues to lead the industry with the most advanced technology for flight control actuation systems. This team has equipment detail design responsibility for components such as linear actuators, rotary actuators, electro-mechanical actuators, ball screws, and multiple types of valves.
This Engineering position will focus on detail component design serving both current (e.g., 737, 777, 787, etc.) and future airplanes.
There are two locations offered for this position: Detroit, MI or Austin, TX
- Work to ensure world-class actuation equipment by collaborating with other organizations such as Electrical Systems, Systems Stress, Customer Services & Airline Customers, Manufacturing, Supply chain, and many others
- Developing and validating requirements and interface definitions
- Creating new detail design
- Conducting various types of analysis and/or simulations, use of CAD systems such as CATIA V5, and math modeling with tools such as Simulink, Matlab, and EASY5
- Verifying designs and performance via component, system-level and airplane-level testing
- Participate in design reviews and engage in supplier coordination
- Utilize project management tools to ensure project success and timeliness (e.g. scheduling, technical risk oversight, deliverables tracking)
- Participate in activities related to certification of Boeing products with regulatory agencies
- Support production, including involvement in factory build, and test and associated build troubleshooting
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee
- Bachelors Degree or higher in an engineering or science related field
- 4+ years' in hydro-mechanical valve and actuator detail design
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience in aerospace
Typical Education / Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is located in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply ASAP for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.
Individual Contributor - 4
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More