Autonomous Systems Airworthiness Engineer
Here, systems engineering means integrating performance, safety, reliability, maintainability, testability and human systems into all of our products and solutions. In other words, you’ll build the future of Boeing.
of the time
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Systems Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ At Boeing, we work in space. We work in air traffic management. We build airplanes. It’s really rewarding to see work that we do in a lab develop into an amazing product. That’s a daily occurrence. ”Suzanne Hawkins Systems Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Autonomous Systems Airworthiness Engineer
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
As Airworthiness Certification Engineer, you will be working to the Airworthiness Manager under the guidance of the Lead Airworthiness Engineer within the airworthiness and certification team for Autonomous Systems, Fixed and Rotary Wing programmes, ensuring that certification products to underwrite initial and continued airworthiness are developed and in place for new products and modification programmes.
Your main responsibilities will be to support airworthiness and certification activities, and work effectively with team members from various functions across multiple customers (internal and external) in order to:
- Coordinate, prepare, and review high-level certification documentation (Type Certification Basis, Certification Plans, Certification Review Items, reports, checklists and schedules).
- Support the up front development, interpretation, and understanding of customer type certification requirements through the understanding and application of relevant regulations and airworthiness codes.
- Analyze and recommend certification requirements for their applicability to new products and changes to type design (facilitating major/minor change determination and use of the changed product rule).
- Track requirements allocation and compliance showings/findings to ensure all certification requirements and regulatory obligations have been met using the DOORS® tool.
- Assist with the development of Test and Acceptance (Means of Compliance) criteria for certification requirements.
- Work with various disciplines to ensure timely completion of certification milestones.
- Facilitate communication between BDUK, the Customer and the UK Military Aviation Authority (MAA) Certification Division to ensure efficient issue resolution in a timely manner.
- Prepare responses to the Customer and the MAA, including technical positions, in support of project Issue Papers and Certification Review Items.
- Apply UK MAA Regulatory requirements for continued airworthiness to UK Autonomous Air System programmes.
- Liaise with other Boeing organizational entities and assist with the assembly of plans and approaches to meet UK MoD requirements for type validation of products certified by other military or civil National Aviation Authorities.
- Provide specialist airworthiness engineering support to new programme stand up and development of type certification and continued airworthiness approaches.
- Working with other functions to provide the complete lifecycle requirements, and continued airworthiness requirements in particular.
- Assist with airworthiness reviews of Autonomous Air Systems undergoing modifications.
- Contribute to Statements of Work (SOW) for 3rd party activities.
- Identify risks, issues and opportunities and assist with the development of mitigation plans.
- Compile engineering estimates for the airworthiness and certification group.
- Assist with engineering resource planning and generating staffing forecasts.
- Assist the development and/or improvement of effective airworthiness and certification processes and documentation.
Experience and Education:
This candidate should possess strong communication skills, technical competency, and skills with project management concepts/tools. The role will have significant Customer and wider Boeing interface and, therefore, a person who is diplomatic whilst being strong minded is required. Some UK and international travel is expected.
Familiarity with UK MOD MAA certification processes (MRP 21) and similar civil EASA/FAA Part 21 or military EMAR 21 certification processes and associated Guidance Material is required. The candidate should be experienced with the use of requirements management tools such as DOORS®. Experience in the application of Def Stan 00-970, MIL-HDBK-516, European Military Airworthiness Certification Criteria, EASA Certification Specifications, FAA Federal Aviation Regulations or other international standards for type certification and continued airworthiness of Autonomous air systems is extremely desirable. Specific platform/product or system experience and knowledge is highly desirable, along with thorough experience of UK MoD airworthiness policies, processes and culture. Previous industry or military service airworthiness engineering experience is essential.
Degree level in an engineering/technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply asap for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Relocation is not available for this position. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a Security Clearance Process
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.