Senior Systems Engineer - GCS&SFrimley, England; Bristol, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defence UK (BDUK) is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,400 people in the UK. We are responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK defence customers including new capabilities like the E-7 AEW&C and the P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISR Services, Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services and are very much in a growth phase.
As a BDUK employee, you will have access to flexible and virtual working arrangements, benefits packages, employee incentive programs and study assistance. You will also have access to many resources that you will be able to access in order to inform and support your development throughout your career with us.
Gladiator is a synthetic training capability and service provided by BDUK for the UK MOD. The system allows multiple aircrew to experience the same battlefield environment and threats simultaneously in a secure and safe environment. It will enable pilots to exercise capabilities, tactics and procedures that would be impossible in the live environment due to airspace, aircraft availability, or security constraints. The capability is starting the process of evolving to include enhanced functionality and increased capacity.
We require experienced Senior Systems Engineers to join us to play a key part of the team responsible for scoping, designing and delivering the incremental changes to the capability. The roles are fundamental in translating customer needs/requirements into appropriate solutions and will require the successful candidate to lead systems engineering work within multidisciplinary teams to both generate proposals and develop and verify deliverable solutions.
While we work in agile and dynamic engineering environments, your wellbeing is important to us and we strive to find a healthy life balance and ethical team culture with a strong emphasis on openness, collaboration, innovation, safety and first-time quality.
Responsibilities will likely include:
- Development and improvement of requirement specifications with cross-functional teams;
- Development of solutions using techniques such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and Trade Studies;
- Generation of plans and associated artefacts to perform Integration, Test, Evaluation and Acceptance (ITEA) activities;
- Managing technical baselines (e.g. requirements, performance measures, solution) including configuration and change control, working with parties from across the global Boeing Enterprise;
- Development of systems engineering artefacts (e.g. management plans, schedules, reports);
- Leading of technical management and governance tasks (metrics, reporting, team tasking, risk/issue/opportunity management);
- Collaboration with and reporting to Customer representatives; and
- Leading technical problem solving and risk mitigation/issue resolution activities;
- Managing the workload of a team of engineers to achieve a technical objective;
- Being considered the focal/expert in one or more elements of Systems Engineering for the programme or a particular technical area;
- The tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and quality processes; and contributing to Continuous Improvement;
You may also get the opportunity to work on a variety of other programmes, business development opportunities and contribute to engineering excellence across the company as part of your ongoing career development with Boeing.
Aside from your technical work you there is the potential to support company initiatives, for example, quality improvements, promoting a safety culture, promoting Diversity and Inclusion, mentoring and coaching, STEM outreach and a number of focus projects to support the growth of the company including its employees.
- Significant applied experience across the elements of Systems Engineering, with you considering yourself to be an expert in one of more of the following: requirements development and management; interface management; system architectures; MBSE; integration of specialties; Verification and Validation; technical governance, risk/issue and change management
- Good proficiency in the setting up and usage of one of more of IBM DOORS or similar, or MBSE tools such as CAMEO or Enterprise Architect
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills
- Experience of showing the ability to collaborate effectively with geographically dispersed and diverse teams
- A "drive to action" approach with the ability to be resilient and flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills
- An ability to effectively communicate written technical information
- Proficient office IT skills
- Experience of Customer and wider stakeholder management;
- Experience of leading work packages or integrated project teams from a technical perspective;
- Experience in specifying, integrating and testing software, in particular simulation or synthetic training technologies;
- Experience in some of the following areas: C4ISTAR, Air Platforms, Mission Systems, Communications Systems and Networks, Training Systems and Training Related Technology.
A degree level (or equivalent) qualification in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or an Engineering related field and already be, or aspire to be, a Chartered Engineer with a recognised professional body such as the Institute of Engineering and Technology or the Royal Aeronautical Society (preferred, not essential).
The primary location for our GCS&S Engineering team is Frimley, with the general expectation of 2 – 3 days a week in the office to work in our Systems Integration Laboratory and foster collaboration and team efficiency. We will also consider applicants who may prefer to be based out of our Bristol offices, and potentially others dependent on the suitability of the candidate.
Work Authorisation: This position does not have sponsorship approval. This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense
Export Control Requirements: Not an export control position
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not accept unlawful discrimination in our recruitment or employment practices on any grounds including but not limited to; color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military and veteran status, or other characteristics covered by applicable law.
We have teams in more than 65 countries, and each person plays a role in helping us become one of the world’s most innovative, diverse and inclusive companies. Applicants are encouraged to share with our recruitment team any accommodations required during the recruitment process.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award