Chinook Future Projects Programme ManagerGosport, England
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Company is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners and defense, space and security systems. Boeing is committed to being the best in aerospace and an enduring global industrial champion—a top performer in each and every area of our business delivering superior value to customers, employees, shareholders, communities and partners. Boeing’s global reach includes customers in approximately 150 countries and employees and operations in more than 65 countries. The company has manufacturing, service and technology partnerships with companies and governments worldwide and contracts with more than 20,000 diverse suppliers and partners.
Boeing Defence United Kingdom (BDUK) is recruiting for a Senior Programme Manager leading the development and delivery of proposal and bid activities in support of the UK Chinook portfolio of programmes.
The ideal candidate will be a detail oriented individual with first-class leadership and motivational skills. They must be able to inspire outstanding work from team members with a range of experience and technical abilities. Other requirements include excellent, interpersonal, communication and time management skills, with a strong knowledge of functional disciplines.
This position requires strong leadership skills and extensive commercial knowledge and experience of leading large scale bids to deliver complex international programmes in order to ensure we deliver against our customer commitments.
A proven work history is required in a programme management environment and in executing complex programmes, ideally with a background in managing programmes within the Defence Aerospace sector and more specifically Rotorcraft. The ideal candidate will already be familiar with a wide range of specialized process tools, and materials, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, SharePoint and Boeing or industry recognised systems to manage risks, issues & opportunities, contracts, change processing and estimating.
- Lead proposal development in support of additional work scope and manage pre-award performance to budget.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all project management areas in accordance with accepted project management standards in the industry (e.g., PMI, Project Management Body of Knowledge [PMBOK], ANSI, and ISO standards).
- Identify key stakeholder project specific objectives and requirements including Customer and Supplier dependencies. Develop solutions to complex problems that require ingenuity and innovation.
- Facilitate or lead others in facilitating negotiations involving major project parameters such as deliverable definition and performance objectives (e.g., cost, schedule, quality).
- Develop project plans and define deliverables that meet identified requirements, and Customer expectations.
- Identify and manage project risks, issues and opportunities.
- Lead Execution Risk Assessment (ERA) for key bids and proposals
- Manage all assigned resources including people, facilities, budgets and schedules to meet performance requirements and commitments.
- Manages bid preparation and presents to Executive Management approval boards
- Work with the Customer to proactively identify additional opportunities, and ways to improve levels of service.
- Ensure project team member responsibilities, accountability and authority are clearly documented and understood. Ensure assigned individuals are executing the identified and assigned tasks and provide appropriate tracking and reporting per plan. Provide input of team member performance to management, where appropriate.
- Establishes high level professional networks and customer / supplier rapport to facilitate company objectives and customer satisfaction.
- Line Manage a team of programme and project managers
- Implement and hold project team responsible for a Go4Zero safety culture.
- Promote a ‘Help Needed’ culture where appropriately requesting help is encouraged and those providing help are held accountable. Apply industry standards and any available data source for best practices, lessons learned, historical and forecast data to perform trend, earned value and variance analyses to create a baseline project plan.
- Partners in the development of business unit strategy and achievement of long term strategies; reviews business needs identified by business management
- Integrates the implementation of the Programme Management Best Practices. Implements customer and programme communication and contact plans.
- Decision Making – Deals effectively with a wide range of complex, specialized issues, problems, or opportunities in own work group, across the organization and with external customers; and determines action needed.
- Negotiation - Explores all stakeholder parties' needs, concerns, and initial positions as they relate to the largest and most complex negotiations.
- Gaining Commitment - Serves as a role model in describing expectations, goals, requests, or future states in a way that provides clarity and excites interest.
- Collaboration - Works effectively and cooperatively with team members and fellow project team leaders, other employees and external customers. Establishes and maintains good working relationships by actively involving less experienced employees and/or other project team leaders and external customers and helping them feel valued, appreciated, and included in discussions.
- Communication - Clarifies purpose and importance; stresses major points; follows a logical sequence. Frames complex messages in line with audience experience, background, and expectations; uses terms, examples, and analogies that are meaningful to the audience.
- Developing Relationships - Develops & maintains professional & productive relationships as the officially-designated Boeing point of contact to the external customer.
- Customer Focus - Anticipates Customer needs. Considers how complex project level decisions/actions/plans will affect customers; responds quickly to meet significant customer needs and resolve complex problems; Provides enterprise level thought leadership on resolving customer concerns and issues. Maintains exemplary levels of Customer Satisfaction.
- Continuous Improvement & Lean - Serves as an organizational expert on the review and improvement of complex, enterprise-wide, multi-national processes to correct shortfalls and implement improvements
- Problem Solving - Develops solutions to problems that require a high degree of ingenuity, creativity, and innovation. Develops solutions to unique challenges that may serve as precedent for future decisions.
- Analytical Skills - Skill and ability to collect, organize, synthesize, and analyze data; summarize findings; develop conclusions and recommendations from appropriate data sources at the business unit level.
- Project Leadership - Ability to effectively lead execution of a project (e.g., new business proposal) through tailored utilization and integration of Boeing or industry recognized best practices pertaining to Integrated Business Acquisition, Programme Management, Project Management and Supply Chain Management Best Practices.
- Project & Programme Management - Extensive and specialized knowledge of Programme and Project Management theory, concepts and principles (e.g. risk and opportunity management, change management, critical path methodology, project scope and change management, resource estimating and management lifecycle).
- Integrated Business Acquisition Processes - Extensive and specialized knowledge of Boeing or equivalent industry recoginsed Integrated Business Acquisition Process & theory.
- MoD’s Acquisition Process – Sound knowledge of UK MoD’s acquisition processes, policies, procedures and practices.
- Programme Management Best Practices - Extensive and specialized knowledge of Boeing or equivalent industry recognized Programme Management Best Practices and theory.
- International Traffic in Arms Requirements - Knowledge of US ITAR requirements.
- Contract Terms, Processes & Commercial Awareness - Knowledge of contract structure, to draft and document unique and complex proposals and agreements in a form that meets legal/business requirements. Knowledge of negotiation and contracting processes.
- Candidates will ideally have a Bachelor’s or Masters degree or equivalent in Programme Management or Engineering with extensive work experience in the defence / aerospace industry.
- Other desirable qualifications include an accredited Programme Management qualification APMP, PRINCE2 Practitioner, Attended Boeing PMW classes.
The Project Manager's location will be at Gosport or Bristol.
This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll. PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE
Manager - L
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More