Senior Software Engineer
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Senior Software Engineer
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Job Description Summary
Boeing Global Services Engineering Test & Technology is currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Software Engineer (P4) to lead the NetForce team. The NetForce team is responsible for developing and maintaining NetForce and Virtual Air Traffic Controller. NetForce is a suite of tools which provides a Synthetic Environment to train pilots and weapons officers. Within the NetForce application suite, NetForce-Simulation supports a wide range of training cues by simulating tactical, natural, cultural, electronic, navigation and command & control elements within a training area of interest. NetForce-Simulation interacts with other training devices and applications using a standards-driven network interface and loads a terrain database to achieve terrain awareness. NetForce-Commander provides for comprehensive scenario visualization, planning & control. NetForce-Modeler manages the parametric model data used within the NetForce-ModelLibrary. Custom integration of NetForce is supported using the provided Application Programmer Interfaces (API's) described within the Developer's Guide. Virtual Air Traffic Controller is an application which uses voice recognition and text-to-speech capabilities to provide interactive radio calls between students and simulated air traffic controllers.
The NetForce team is a part of the Government Training Systems and Services (GTS&S) Battlespace and Simulation Management (BSM) team in St. Louis, Missouri. GTS&S is responsible for the design, development, manufacturing, and maintenance of training devices for a wide variety of commercial and military aircraft - everything from F-15 fighter jets to Apache attack helicopters, and even NASA's new Starliner spacecraft. NetForce supports the most recent line of Boeing products such as the P-8, T-7A, and MQ-25 training devices. NetForce also supports Chinook and T-45 training devices, AvionX test labs, and is being used on internal initiatives such as SimCore.
- Develops, documents and maintains architectures, requirements, algorithms, interfaces and designs for software systems.
- Develops and maintains code and integrates software components into a fully functional software system.
- Develops software verification plans, test procedures and test environments, executing the test procedures and documenting test results to ensure software system requirements are met.
- Performs software project management and software supplier management functions.
- Develops, selects, tailors and deploys software processes, tools and metrics.
- Executes and documents software research and development projects.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for software domains, system-specific issues, processes and regulations.
- Tracks and evaluates software team to ensure product and process conformance to project plans and industry standards.
- Perform duties of Product Owner in Safe Agile practice.
- Write detailed epics and stories including detailed work instructions for team members.
- Collaborate with agile teams to build and manage new features and capabilities while delivering the desired business impact.
- Coordinates with external stakeholders to ensure completion of team and project commitments.
- Works under minimal direction.
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship. An interim and/or final U.S. Secret Clearance Post-Start is required.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience)
- 5+ years of experience in developing software
- 3+ years of experience in Object-Oriented Development in C++
- 3+ years of experience in with agile development methodologies
- 3+ years of experience in BORIS, TFS, Version 1, JIRA, MS Project and/or other Project Management tools
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or other technical degree
- Experience in the development and design of aircraft simulation and/or training devices
Desired Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- 1+ years of experience in Unified Modeling Language (UML) or other software architecture and design modeling techniques
- Experience using DevOps/CI-CD and supporting tools such as TFS, Maven, Gradle, Jenkins, Artifactory, Git
- Familiarity with simulation standards such as Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS), Distributed Mission Operations (DMO) and High Level Architecture (HLA)
- Experience and versatility with multiple development environments (Windows/Mac/iOS/Linux)
- 1+ years of experience with project management work, to include meeting cost, schedule and quality targets
- Experience as a product owner and/or product manager in agile development
- Experience working on proposals and/or estimates
- Experience as a Control Account Manager (CAM)
- Engineering experience include integration of technical impacts and plans across multiple functions or Integrated Product Teams (IPTs)
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility
This Hybrid position allows some telecommuting. The selected candidate will be required to perform some work onsite at one of the listed location options. (St. Louis, MO)
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply ASAP for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries including U.S.-based employees. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award