Experienced Mechanical Systems Design & Analysis EngineerHerndon, Virginia
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space and Security, Advanced Mission Solutions (AMS) Division is seeking an Experienced Mechanical Engineer (Level 3) to support the development of subsea mechanical systems including structures, robotic mechanisms, electro-mechanical & hydraulic powered actuation systems for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs) Payloads, and associated equipment and rugged electronics packaging. This position is located in Herndon, VA.
**Travel is required, varies by position**
- Develops, integrates and documents structural requirements to establish the system design.
- Coordinates with other engineering groups to establish the product's environment.
- Guides product design and verifies structural integrity by using analytical methods, finite element models/simulations and other analysis tools throughout the product lifecycle to develop the structural environment, characteristics and performance.
- Develops test plans and configurations, supports test execution and analyzes/reports test results to validate and verify systems and components meet requirements and specifications.
- Defines and documents certification and test results to substantiate for customers and regulatory agencies that requirements are satisfied.
- Supports in-service products by investigating failures and analyzing improvements.
- Works under general direction.
- Executes mechanical design including electronics packaging, structural and thermal analysis, fabrication and assembly.
- Performs shop follow activities, implement Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) guidelines, field integration, and delivery.
- Performs tolerance analyses via GD&T ASME Y14.5.
- Performs structural and thermal analysis using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software and CAE tools to include: underwater electro-optical connectors, pressure tank adapters, protective sheet metal shields, enclosures, seals, etc.
- Ability to work well with customer(s) and focus on customer satisfaction.
- Performs instrumentation and hydrostatic testing of pressure vessels to validate analysis results and demonstrate system safety.
- Performs mechanical design and development of underwater structural systems.
This position requires an active Top Secret or Sensitive Compartment Information (TS/SCI) U.S. Security Clearance, for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active).
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- 5 years or more of experience working with CATIA V5.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) using program such as NASTRAN or ANSYS.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
- Experience working with AMSE Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Experience with Agile team work environment, executing formal technical and formal customer presentations.
- Experience with electronic interfaces, and undersea equipment environmental requirements.
- Experienced in both mechanical design, and thermal/structural analysis.
Typical Education and Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
What you'll do here
Whether you’re a software engineer, systems engineer or cyber analyst, help Boeing solve tough mission challenges and create solutions that contribute to the security of the nation. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More