Lead Electrical Engineer - Advanced Mission SystemsHerndon, Virginia
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the sea bed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
AMS (Advanced Mission Systems) is seeking a Lead Electrical Engineer to develop and maintain detailed requirements and specifications for various electronic products and assist with implementing custom digital electronic hardware system designs of limited scope.
Limited travel is required, varies by position.
- Candidate will provide engineering support throughout the life cycle of the product and conduct trade studies and literature research to support future product designs.
- Develop custom PCB design, schematic capture, board layout, vendor interface and industry standard interfaces (PCIe, PCIx, VME etc.).
- Develop system hardware architecture, requirements and design.
- Define/maintain power budgets;
- Perform trade studies on hardware products; select developmental & operational hardware;
- Document firmware & hardware (schematics & fabrication drawings for custom circuit cards, drawer/rack/system wiring & cabling);
- Develop engineering test requirements and unit/subsystem/system test plans;
- Perform hardware test & system integration
- Leads work with customers to develop and document complex electronic and electrical system requirements.
- Leads and coordinates work to analyze and translate requirements into system architecture, hardware and software designs and interface specifications.
- Leads work to test and validate to ensure system designs meet operational and functional requirements.
- Oversees the team that monitors supplier performance to ensure system integration and compliance with requirements.
- Solves problems concerning and provides other support of fielded hardware and software over the entire product lifecycle.
- Researches technology advances for potential application to company business needs.
- Makes recommendations for technology investments.
This position requires an active Top Secret U.S. Security Clearance, for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active)
A single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed or updated within the past five years is required.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Experience with defining and maintaining power budgets and performing trade studies on hardware products
- Hands-on experience with board build, debug and bring-up in a lab environment, gathering data for technical performance measures and performing basic analysis
- Electro Optical experience (ex: producing specifications, tolerances, simulations, assembly, integration and test of fiber optic (F/O) sensors, systems and components, including sensors, lasers, fiber-optics, and telecommunications products)
- Experience using a wide variety of F/O test tools, as well as writing basic F/O test plans, procedures and reports.
- Tool experience (Analysis: PSpice, MATLAB, MATHCAD, ANSYS, COMSOL, Mentor Graphics electrical tools, Saber, Zuken E3, Xilinx Vivad)
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience in formal technical presentations and formal customer presentations
- Team experience (Agile work environment).
- Position skill area (software, hardware, electro-optical)
- Programming skills (FPGA, VHDL, C++)
- Experience with devices such as Xilinx Virtex and tools such as Xilinx ISE, Synplicity, Orcad, etc.
Typical Education & Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
AMS (Advanced Mission Systems) is seeking a candidate to develop and maintain detailed requirements and specifications for various electronic products and assist with implementing custom digital electronic hardware system designs of limited scope. Candidate will also provide engineering support throughout the life cycle of the product and conduct trade studies and literature research to support future product designs. Occasional travel to Boeing, subcontractor, and/or customer facilities may be required.
Looking for candidates with experience in any one the following areas:
(Firmware) Electrical/electronics engineer for real-time HDL coding of Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA)/Very High Density Logic (VHDL) and C++; design experience and implementation of high-performance digital signal processing hardware using FPGAs (custom and COTS boards); and designing high-performance signal acquisition systems (custom and COTS boards); build and use of verification test benches.
Experience with devices such as Xilinx Virtex and tools such as Xilinx ISE, Synplicity, Orcad, etc. are also desired.
(Hardware) Hands-on experience of board build, debug and bring-up in a lab environment, gathering data for technical performance measures and performing basic analysis. Also need to develop custom PCB design, schematic capture, board layout, vendor interface and industry standard interfaces (PCIe, PCIx, VME etc.). Develop system hardware architecture, requirements and design. Define/maintain power budgets; perform trade studies on hardware products; select developmental & operational hardware; document firmware & hardware (schematics & fabrication drawings for custom circuit cards, drawer/rack/system wiring & cabling); develop engineering test requirements and unit/subsystem/system test plans; perform hardware test & system integration. Experience desired with high-speed digital circuits for data acquisition, control, telemetry & communications; selection of and interfacing with COTS hardware and various sensor types; low-noise analog circuits as well as A/D and D/A converters.
(Electro Optical) Produces specifications, tolerances, simulations, assembly, integration and test of fiber optic (F/O) sensors, systems and components, including sensors, lasers, fiber-optics, and telecommunications products. Conducts research and development into phases of physical optics and geometric optics, laser characteristics, laser maintenance, and broadband optical sources. Applies research of complex optical systems to achieve desired optical manipulations. Develops component specifications, tolerances, simulations and test procedures for electro-optical systems and components. Uses design-to-cost models, six sigma methodology, and other methods to assure optical design requirements met. Experience with optical transmitter designs with an emphasis on low-cost tunable laser system designs and manufacturing; high-speed transport, including SONET/SDH, GFP, and OTN, at rates up to 10 Gbps and higher (100G); DWDM transport systems design and impairment analysis; high speed electronics and signal integrity. Design and construction of F/O test sets using schematics and block diagrams; fusion splicing of single mode and multi-mode fibers; terminating test cables with various types of commercial and experimental F/O connectors; F/O system troubleshooting and fault detection using OTDR’s, OBR’s and a variety of commercial test equipment; mechanical fiber routing and management inside splice closures. The successful candidate should be proficient using a wide variety of F/O test tools, as well as writing basic F/O test plans, procedures and reports.
Candidate must have demonstrated/proven ability to work well in a team environment and an active TS/SSBI security clearance.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
What you'll do here
Whether you’re a software engineer, systems engineer or cyber analyst, help Boeing solve tough mission challenges and create solutions that contribute to the security of the nation. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More