Lead Mechanical EngineerHerndon, Virginia
Advanced Mission Solutions (AMS) Division is seeking a Lead Mechanical Engineer to support the development of subsea mechanical systems including structures, robotic mechanisms, electro-mechanical & hydraulic powered actuation systems for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs) Payloads, and associated equipment and rugged electronics packaging. This position is located in Herndon, VA and travel may be required.
- Leads in the development, integration and documentation of structural requirements to establish the system design.
- Coordinates with other engineering groups to establish the product's environment.
- Guides product design and verifies structural integrity by using analytical methods, finite element models/simulations and other analysis tools throughout the product lifecycle to develop the structural environment, characteristics and performance.
- Leads in the development of test plans and configurations, supports test execution and analyzes/reports test results to validate and verify systems and components meeting requirements and specifications.
- Defines and documents certification and test results to substantiate for customers and regulatory agencies that requirements are satisfied.
- Supports in-service products by investigating failures and analyzing improvements.
- Executes mechanical design including electronics packaging, structural and thermal analysis, fabrication and assembly.
- Ability to work well with customer(s) and focus on customer satisfaction.
- Performs instrumentation and hydrostatic testing of pressure vessels to validate analysis results and demonstrate system safety.
- Performs mechanical design and development of underwater structural systems
- Modeling and developing drawings using CATIA
- Works under general direction.
Security Clearance and Export Control Requirements:
This position requires an active Top Secret/SCI with CI Poly (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- Experience with CATIA
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
What you'll do here
Whether you’re a software engineer, systems engineer or cyber analyst, help Boeing solve tough mission challenges and create solutions that contribute to the security of the nation. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More