Mid Level Electro Optical/Infrared Systems Engineer
Huntington Beach, California
Here, systems engineering means integrating performance, safety, reliability, maintainability, testability and human systems into all of our products and solutions. In other words, you’ll build the future of Boeing.
of the time
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Systems Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ At Boeing, we work in space. We work in air traffic management. We build airplanes. It’s really rewarding to see work that we do in a lab develop into an amazing product. That’s a daily occurrence. ”Suzanne Hawkins Systems Engineer
“Boeing is committed to diversity and inclusion. This is important to us. We’re a global company. We have diverse customers. We work in a diverse world. Being committed to a diverse, inclusive workforce makes us a better company. ”Natalie Nill Mechanical Systems Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Mid Level Electro Optical/Infrared Systems Engineer
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
We are Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T): Boeing's global research and development team creating and implementing innovative technologies that make the impossible possible and enabling the future of aerospace. We are engineers and technicians, skilled scientists and bold innovators; Join us and put your passion, determination, and skill to work building the future! #TheFutureIsBuiltHere #ChangeTheWorld
This position is part of the EO/IR Mission Systems team within BR&T. The focus of this team is to design cutting edge sensor systems, and the key technologies that enable those systems, to support both Boeing and its external customers. Systems range from airborne EO/IR systems to space payloads. The team is focused on providing complete solutions, including systems engineering, optics design, mechanical design, algorithms, software development, firmware development, electronics, and advanced system modeling and simulations. As part of BR&T, the primary focus is on prototype systems and demonstrations, so we’re looking for people who like to try new things, and aren’t afraid of a challenge!
We are seeking system engineers in Huntington Beach, CA with experience in working on EO/IR Sensor systems to lead systems engineering for prototype sensing systems. Responsibilities will include converting customer’s mission needs into engineering requirements, system optimization analysis, designing test processes and requirements, and model based systems engineering. The candidate will work closely with the modeling & simulation team, as well as the electrical, mechanical, optical, and software engineers.
This position requires an active U.S. Secret Security Clearance (U.S. Citizenship Required). (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active)
- Leads in the development of EO/IR sensor systems from conceptual design through prototype testing. This includes identifying mission needs that would be benefit from EO/IR sensors or sensor systems, defining system performance requirements, integrating technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and program interfaces, and generating test plans to demonstrate mission success.
- Leads analyses to optimize total system of systems and/or system architecture.
- Leads analyses for affordability, safety, reliability, maintainability, testability, human systems integration, survivability, vulnerability, susceptibility, system security, regulatory, certification, product assurance and other specialties quality factors into a preferred configuration to ensure mission success.
- Leads, develops, maintains and identifies improvements the planning, organization, implementation and monitoring of requirements management processes, tools, risk, issues, opportunity management and technology readiness assessment processes.
- Plans and leads research projects to develop concepts for future product designs to meet projected requirements.
- Supports new business activities and identifies prospective markets and opportunities to grow the business
Basic Qualifications (Required Skill/Experience):
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- 3+ years of experience in systems engineering for EO/IR sensors or sensor systems
- Experience working on research and development projects
- Experience implementing models based systems engineering
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience working on space based and/or airborne mission payloads
- Experience leading research and development programs
- Experience working on proposals to capture government development contracts
- Experience as a chief engineer or systems engineering IPT lead with weapons design, software avionics/avionics/electrical design, and weapons system architecture
Typical Education/Experience: Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Relocation: Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit for this position. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Shift: This position is for first shift
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award