Software Engineer - Junior
Huntington Beach, California; Los Angeles, California
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons, certification courses and degree-seeking programs.
12 weeks paid parental leave.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions (up to 11 percent!).
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM-studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Software Engineer - Junior
As a Software Engineer, you will be part of an amazing, collaborative team for the AIT Program located in Huntington Beach, CA (with plans to relocate to Seal Beach, CA within ~1-2 years). As a highly productive, talented, self-motivated, and creative member of Boeing Defense, Space & Security, you will work with multiple engineering and support groups, on both ongoing operational efforts and exciting future projects.
This exciting software engineer position requires demonstrated experience in database-driven application and tool development, a diverse background of project experience, and the clear exhibition of superior judgment and decision making to engineer new solutions and support existing capabilities of multiple software programming projects. Demonstrated critical thinking and troubleshooting skills are required.
- Assisting with the development, documentation and maintenance of architectures, requirements, algorithms, interfaces and designs for software systems
- Developing and maintaining code and integrating software components into a fully functional software system
- Assisting with test procedures and documenting test results to ensure software system requirements are met
- Supporting software project management and software supplier management functions
- Selecting, tailoring and deploying processes and tools; establishing metrics
- Performing software research and trade studies
- Troubleshooting software issues
- Working under general supervision
- Supporting software (application programming, tool, and algorithm) development tasks, including requirements analysis, detailed design, coding, unit/integration testing, maintenance, and user support
- Developing new features for database-driven and algorithm based applications, as well as troubleshooting and resolving various application issues
- Contributing to the creation of new distributed components and interactions that align with the future software and system architecture
- Experience working and interfacing with technically diverse user and customer communities, security personnel, project managers, engineers, and a multi-disciplined integrated product team (system administrators and software developers)
- Interfacing with internal and external stakeholders to develop software/application requirements, writing informative documentation, and providing user training & support
- Desire to integrate into and contribute to a close-knit, supportive team environment that works under the principles of respect, trust, open-mindedness and fun
- Able to use understanding of configuration management processes to provide software problem tracking and software revision control with tools such as CVS and JIRA
- Able to apply knowledge and experience to estimate future tasks for the software they maintain
- Solid understanding of the software development process and the ability to use leadership skills to work with multiple support teams, customers, and other organizations to identify and resolve complex issues
- Creative problem solving, critical thinking, and troubleshooting skills across a broad domain of computing situations and activities
- Ability to clearly communicate status and issues and suggest alternative paths forward
- Passion for innovation and exploration of new technologies
- Values relationships and honors commitments
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
This position requires an active Current Top Secret U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Experience with the software development process
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Solid foundation in computer science and a genuine interest in software programming to solve challenging problems
- Demonstrated experience in software application and tool development including, requirements analysis, user interface design, relational database design, code, test, configuration management, and deployment
- Experience in the following areas: scripting (e.g., Perl, Tcl/Tk, Python, Bash/Shell), programming (e.g., Fortran, C++, Java), relational databases (e.g., SQL, Oracle), operating systems (e.g., Windows, Linux, Solaris)
- Experience with SQL/Oracle/etc. database tasks related to software/algorithm/tool programming (e.g., database troubleshooting, setting up database(s) to work with software/algorithm/tool being developed)
- Demonstrated experience with data manipulation and conversions across application, operating system, and system boundaries
- Experience troubleshooting legacy and activity maintained software