Mid-Level Software Development Engineer - Missile Defense National Team
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Mid-Level Software Development Engineer - Missile Defense National Team
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
As a Mid-Level Software Development Engineer - Missile Defense National Team, you will support the development, integration, verification, and test of the Command Control Battle Management or in the area of simulation development / optimization. The National Team program is the system integration piece of the Ballistic Missile Defense System which defends the United States homeland and its regional allies all over the world. Be a part of our passionate and highly-motivated team who are excited to be on the forefront of defense of our nation. You will split your responsibilities between directly assigned technical assignments and providing guidance and input to the work of junior team members.
Huntsville is one of the country’s fastest growing technical cities. Located in northern Alabama, it has many of the latest amenities of a larger city but with lower cost of living and easy access to work and play. Huntsville is also within driving distance of most of the attractions in the south-eastern part of the U.S. including beaches, major national sports teams, and Disney World. Come experience our city for yourself.
Missile Defense Programs at the Huntsville site include Command and Control Battle Management and Communications (C2BMC), Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD), and Missile Defense National Team (MDNT).
This is a software development role. Your duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Developing and maintaining code and integrates software components into a fully functional software system
- Developing, documenting and maintaining architectures, requirements, algorithms, interfaces and designs for software systems
- Serving as a for software domains, system-specific issues, processes and regulations
You will be expected to drive the design, architecture and approach. You will:
- Develop, select, tailor and deploy software processes, tools and metrics
- Execute and document software research and development projects
Accuracy and accountability are key. You will be expected to:
- Track and evaluate software team and supplier performance
- Develop software verification plans, test procedures and test environments
- You will work under general direction.
Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit for this position. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
This position requires, at minimum, an Interim Secret U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
This position requires the ability to obtain access to a NASA facility.
This position is considered safety-sensitive as defined by NASA Federal Acquisition Regulation and is subject to additional drug and alcohol program requirements such as random testing.
- Minimum technical Bachelor's Degree
- Must have, at minimum, an Interim Secret U.S. Security Clearance
- Individual must be capable of working both independently and in a team environment
- Individual must have strong coordination, organization, teaming and communication abilities, along with developing horizontal integration skills
- Proficient with Java, J2EE, and/or C++ Programming Languages
- Training/Experience Software development tools & Configuration Management tools
- Experience and knowledge of basic software practices such as coding standards and configuration management
- Knowledge of the full life-cycle software engineering practices and procedures applicable to large software systems to include hands on application development experience or coursework
- DoD 8570 certification at IAT Level II or higher (Security+, GSEC, SCNP, SSCP, CISSP, CISA, GSE, SCNA)
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Qualifications):
- Experience in all aspects of designing and implementing a system (requirement development, System architecture, Software design, software testing
- Experience with Eclipse, Maven, Git, JIRA, Confluence and other open source development tools is highly desired
- Software testing and documentation experience is desirable
- Training/Experience Windows, Linux, and VMWare Platforms
- Training/Experience Agile + Lean S/W Development Tools and Methods (DevOps type Environment)
- Training/Experience Information Assurance Implications
- Software design and development experience for Java-based application operating in a UNIX/Linux platform environment
- Experience automating testing
- Familiarity with Systems Engineering design artifacts Use Cases and SysML diagrams
- Experience with development/performing automated installs with Ansible
- Knowledge of BMDS and C2BMC in particular would be very helpful for the successful candidate
- Object-Oriented development patterns, principles and implementation
- Service Oriented Architecture development principles and implementation
- Software architecture and continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD)
- Experience with VMWare systems administration and installing
- Experience with VM Horizon View a plus
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Come join our team!
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.