Associate Equipment & Tool Design EngineerLos Angeles, California
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the sea bed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space and Security organization is seeking an Associate Equipment & Tool Design Engineer at Sylmar, CA.
If you are a skilled CAD professional with experience in tooling and automation design looking for a place where you can apply both your CAD skills and your creativity to address design and manufacturability issues in a fast paced Aerospace engineering and manufacturing environment.
As a small wholly-owned subsidiary of The Boeing Company, Spectrolab offers the daily variety of work, direct interaction with manufacturing, customers, and suppliers, and family feel of a small company, while offering the stability and growth potential of a recognized global industrial champion. As a member of our CAD and Tooling design team, you will have the opportunity to work on projects covering the entire range of Spectrolab’s products: everything from large and small solar panels and arrays for a variety of space applications to photolithography tooling used to fabricate the world’s most efficient space solar cells to airborne searchlight, gimbal systems and ground-based high-intensity illuminated test systems. You will also have the opportunity to directly contribute to development programs and to help shape our next-generation improvements in product, process and tooling design.
- Using GD&T skills and production support experience to support proposal and design trades and manufacturability improvement projects by providing rapid assessment of potential design options, supplier capabilities and production approaches.
- Working with internal, customer, and supplier engineering teams to verify model tolerances and dimensional call-outs on drawings to assure manufacturability for internally built assemblies and to help resolve procurement and cost of quality issues for both Space Photovoltaic and Illuminations Product lines.
- Working within the CAD/Tooling team to identify and evaluate opportunities to simplify the drawing generation/review/management process by using the latest tools and techniques from Autodesk.
- Design solar panels, solar panel sub-assemblies and components, and solar wing harnessing in AutoCAD / Inventor Pro Suite. Also design and update searchlight/gimbal systems and high intensity illumination products for solar cell and solar panel test in AutoCAD / Inventor Pro Suite.
- Work with Panel Product Engineers to translate customer schematics and specifications into achievable manufacturing plans, inclusive of part procurement drawings, sub-assembly drawings, and manufacturing efficient panel layouts and detailed manufacturing drawings, inclusive of Bill of Materials (BOMs), detail views, wiring lists, schematics, and notes.
- Work with Product, Process, and Tooling Design Engineers to identify and define the production flow and manufacturing support tooling necessary to safely and efficiently build and test the hardware in conformance with customer requirements.
- Generate part/tooling procurement and assembly drawings and models using AutoCAD/Inventor Pro Suite.
- Work with Illuminations Systems Product Engineers to generate and update part and assembly documentation needed for procurement, manufacturing and assembly, including generation of 3D models and model management in VAULT.
- Assess customer ICDs for manufacturability and provide feedback/improvement suggestions to enhance compliance and/or manufacturability.
- Participate in round-table drawing reviews and CAD-check of drawings and tooling designs generated by others.
- Support proposals, internal technology gate reviews and customer program design reviews as needed.
- Learn to generate soft tooling files from AutoCAD model and to generate and check photo-mask drawings.
- Adapt to meet changing priorities in support of manufacturing, engineering, and marketing needs.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse group of both internal and external customers/suppliers and colleagues.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Experience in 2D and 3D CAD modeling using AutoCAD/Inventor Pro Suite 11 (or higher) with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience in a production support or direct to manufacture design environment, including: Use of block part libraries, Generation of multilayer drawing packages, detailed assembly views, and schematics and Model management in AutoDesk Vault or similar model management software
- Experience reading and interpreting technical requirement specifications and electrical schematics.
- Sound working knowledge and/or certification in GD&T and/or DFMAT principles, ideally with demonstrated real-world applied experience in evaluating manufacturing tolerances, dimensional stackups, and process flow/tooling requirements
- Designing tooling for precision manufacturing and / or large structure handling support
- 2+ years of experience working in a manufacturing environment; coordinating as needed with manufacturing technicians and engineers to implement design and manufacturability improvements.
- Must be flexible, able to support evening and weekend work on an as needed basis, and self-motivated.
- Must be adept at working in a fast paced environment to complete scheduled milestones as planned.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience compiling and presenting data using excel and powerpoint, and generating/updating procedural documentation using MS Word are key desired skills
- Experience working with suppliers and engineers to evaluate material and component selection for both product and tooling design
- Experience translating model information from 2D to 3D and vice versa, both within AutoCAD / Inventor Suite and from other CAD systems (such as NX or Catia) into AutoCAD/ Inventor
- Familiarity with PCBs/PWBs and electronics, basic physics of solar cells, photolithographic processes, Aerospace materials and assembly techniques, and some knowledge of electrical or mechanical engineering, industrial/graphic design, video editing, and/or material science are all considered as plusses.
- Familiarity with programming/troubleshooting VBA, SQL, Labview, and/or design and implementation of automated systems, while not strictly required for this position, are also strongly desired “extra” qualifications.
Typical Education/ Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced education (e.g. Associate) and typically 1 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience (e.g. Bachelor, 3 years' related work experience, etc.).
This position is located in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
At Boeing, diversity, equity, and inclusion are enduring company values. We strive to live these values every day not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because our success depends on it. The company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion means providing a work environment for all employees that is welcoming, respectful and equitable, with opportunities for personal and professional development.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More