Senior Software Development Lead
Los Angeles, California; El Segundo, California; Annapolis Junction, Maryland; Huntington Beach, California
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Senior Software Development Lead
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
To ensure compliance with President Biden’s September 9, 2021 executive order, Boeing is implementing a new requirement for U.S.-based employees to either show proof of being fully vaccinated from COVID-19, or have an approved reasonable accommodation (based on a disability/medical condition or sincerely held religious belief) exempting them from the requirement, by December 8, 2021 (timing may vary in some states). Individuals who are unable to meet COVID-19 requirements due to a disability/medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may apply for a reasonable accommodation during the post-offer process. Individuals with approved accommodations will be subject to frequent COVID-19 testing.
Boeing has implemented a new COVID-19 Vaccination Policy in Australia that requires all new Boeing Australia hires to show proof of being fully vaccinated from COVID-19, or have an approved medical exception by 3 December 2021. For Victorian based employees, the compliance date is 26 November 2021.
All other global Boeing locations do not have a vaccination requirement at this time.
Boeing Research and Technology is looking for an Senior Software Development Lead in El Segundo CA
In pursuit of Boeing's research and business interests, the successful candidate will:
- Work on world class, next generation disruptive technologies across the Boeing enterprise and at business partners and teammate facilities to develop, document, analyze, and test operational, functional, and environmental requirements of non-recurring development research software systems.
- Provide high impact, creative and innovative solutions to complex technical problems
- Work both independently and as part of a team environment
- Work both independently and as part of a dynamic team environment alongside world-class research scientists and engineers
- Provide critical support and independent review of the work of teammates
- Lead software engineering efforts in maturing technologies under development and defining requirements and capabilities in an agile model based engineering environment.
- Partner with researchers and technology experts in understanding technology development current state and future goals in order to inform software requirements definition, design, implementation, test, and verification and validation efforts
- Lead identification and coordinate and communicate software requirements, functional threads and interfaces for incorporation into system architecture, modeling environment and system physical design.
- Lead definition of software development planning including methods to implement software solutions to achieve end architectures, define software requirements/interfaces, identify software development environment,tools/processes and the test/development timeline
- Engage with internal and external partners to identify current software activities/capability and define software requirements to integrate into larger systems and scale
- Support architecture trades that may result in creation of new distributed SW components and interactions that align with future system architectures
- Leads development of code and integration of complex software components across numerous components and subsystems into a fully functional software system
- Leads development, selection, tailoring and deployment of processes, tools and metrics
This position requires a current Tier 5 (T5), formerly known as a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) (U.S. Citizenship required) or requires candidate agreed to enter a Continuous Evaluation program.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- Experience in new technology or product/capability development
- 5+ years of experience with software development and understand of software languages that may include C, C++, C#, Python or Visual Basic
- Effectively communicate with technical and non-technical personnel at all organization levels including suppliers and customers
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience in a software development, agile project management and software deployment in operating systems including Windows and Linux and embedded real time operating systems
- Knowledge of software practices such as test-driven development (TDD), agile software development, continuous integration, and dependency management
- Knowledge of Jira, Confluence, Git or other distributed version control system (DVCS)
- Experience with decomposing, and tracing requirements to support verification and validation testing of software components
- Demonstrated leadership for driving issue resolution and mitigating technical risk
- Adjudicated Counter Intelligence scope polygraph completed within the last 5 years
Typical Education/Experience: Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
This Position Is For First Shift
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.