Aerodynamics and Performance EngineerManassas, Virginia
As part of the Aerodynamics and Performance Group, the candidate will serve as a member of a team dedicated to developing and testing novel air-vehicle systems (fixed wing, VTOL, and rotary wing). The candidate will be part of a small integrated team designing and developing air vehicles and will be expected to provide detailed aerodynamic analyses. The primary product line for design activities will be next generation air-vehicles applicable for both commercial and military use. Requires a strong ability to communicate and write in English and a broad knowledge of aeronautical sciences.
- A successful candidate will be able to work as part of a highly integrated multi-disciplinary team developing new and novel design concepts and will provide the aero design and analysis to the rest of the team. The candidate must be able to contribute to a fast-paced team by independently addressing the aero related analysis and design work.
- Perform aerodynamic design and analysis of aircraft to meet the performance goals, including control surfaces sizing, to meet vehicle control requirements.
- Develop aircraft aerodynamic design requirements that balance with overall system requirements.
- Support planning and direction for aerodynamic work on various traditional and non-traditional UAS.
- BS in Aeronautics or Aerospace Engineering (preferably MS) with more than 8 - 17 years experience (or equivalent education).
- Experience with the latest industry-standard aerodynamic design and analysis tools.
- Demonstrated ability to use MATLAB, Python, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Must be willing to relocate to MA or VA and work onsite. Remote work not accepted.
- Proficient at developing aircraft performance parameters and performing trade studies
- Must be a US Citizen and able to obtain a SECRET level security clearance.
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
- Masters in Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience in the modeling and analysis of advanced air-vehicle systems
- Experience with RANS CFD solvers (STAR-CCM, FUN3D, OVERFLOW, etc.)
- Experience with the lower-fidelity aerodynamic design and analysis tools XFOIL, MSES, XROTOR, AVL, ASWING, XFLR5, OpenVSP or similar tools.
- Experience and interest in the design and modeling next generation manned and unmanned air vehicles (both electric and heavy-fuel based)
- Experience with subsystem ground tests and/or flight tests
- Related education and/or experience in thermodynamic modeling of propulsion systems.
- Familiarity in the creation of aerodynamic databases
- Experiencing mentoring other engineers
- Ability to support some travel
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company, is a leader in the development and manufacturing of advanced unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. Our mission is to apply autonomy and robotics to the development, production, and operation of advanced aircraft. We aim to change the way we travel.
We frequently achieve what others can’t due to a combination of experience, persistence, collaboration, and a culture of innovation. Projects are ambitious and risky. We apply breakthrough technologies to create a new state of the art, rather than advancing the old one.
During the last three decades, Aurora has designed, rapid prototyped, and flown an average of one new vehicle a year for both government and commercial customers. Now as an independent subsidiary of Boeing, Aurora’s innovation is combined with Boeing’s size and strength, creating an unprecedented opportunity to disrupt the future of the aerospace industry.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More