Flight Test PilotManassas, Virginia
The Flight Operations department performs test flight, corporate flight operations, aircraft maintenance and certification for Aurora’s manned, unmanned, and optionally piloted aircraft.
Our test pilots and flight test engineers plan, execute, and report on flight tests of advanced aircraft and aircraft systems, from testing aircraft payloads to experimental flight test of newly developed aircraft types.
Aurora Flight Sciences is seeking both rotary-wing and fixed-wing flight test pilots to support the development of highly advanced autonomous aircraft systems. Aurora is developing the next generation of aircraft, both manned and unmanned, and is looking for outstanding pilots and engineers to lead our test programs.
This job requires a combination of engineering and flight test skills. The candidate will take an active role in the development, test planning, and test execution of cutting-edge new technology and products. This is your opportunity to test, evaluate and influence the aircraft of the future.
Flight test pilots are actively engaged in the full test program for our manned and unmanned experimental aircraft, from development of a Test and Engineering Master Plan (TEMP) to test execution and reporting. Organization, strategic thinking, and planning skills are essential. This is a multi-disciplinary role that interacts with multiple internal and external organizations, so written and verbal communication skills are critical. Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Support development, operation and demonstration of autonomous aircraft systems.
- Serve as Pilot In Command of experimental / developmental aircraft.
- Lead and/or participate in system design and design reviews (commensurate with background engineering discipline).
- Develop test strategies, test plans and test procedures for the aerospace vehicles and components given systems requirements.
- Lead and/or participate in ground and flight test events as Test Conductor or Test Crew member.
- Collect and analyze test data and compile detailed test reports.
- Graduate of recognized test pilot school (USAF TPS, USNTPS, NTPS, etc) required.
- Minimum 1500 hours flight time required
- For rotary-wing applicants, significant multi-engine, heavy helicopter experience (S-76, H-60, H-53, H-1, etc) required
- For fixed-wing applicants, 1000 hours multi-engine fixed wing flight time desired
- Strong technical foundation and skills in one or more of the following engineering disciplines:
- Mechanical / Structures
- Must have direct experience in the conduct of ground and flight test of aerospace vehicles.
- Must have direct experience developing and/or reviewing test strategies. Test & Evaluation Master Plans (TEMPS); test objective definition, test procedure generation and review, test execution and test reporting.
- Be able to interface routinely with a multi-disciplined team to include military and government customers, team contractors and various subcontractors.
- Be independent and motivated; able to self-direct and manage time
- Be able to travel 20% of time to support CONUS activities
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BS in physical science or engineering and a minimum of 6 years of professional experience.
- MUST BE A US person (Citizenship, Green Card, Permanent Resident)
- Have, or have the ability to obtain, a 2nd class FAA medical certificate
- Aurora Flight Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
What you'll do here
Whether you’re a software engineer, systems engineer or cyber analyst, help Boeing solve tough mission challenges and create solutions that contribute to the security of the nation. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More