Software Engineering Manager Mission Planning
Maryland Heights, Missouri
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Software Engineering Manager Mission Planning
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Tapestry Solutions a Boeing Company, comes with over 30 years of industry experience designing, implementing, training, and supporting logistics information systems.
We have over 500 employees worldwide supporting our customers with high-quality, innovative, and cost-effective information technology and business intelligence solutions. Tapestry Solutions supports 85 defense, commercial and government customers from over 50 US locations and nine countries.
Title: Mission Planning Software Engineering Manager – CaaS, SAAE & APS Efforts
Location: Maryland Heights, MO (Greater St. Louis Area)
Manages employees responsible for the development of various software products on Linux. Development team consists of systems engineers, software engineers, instructional system designers and software test engineers. Develops and executes project and process plans, implements policies and procedures and sets operational goals. Acquires resources for projects and processes, provides technical management of suppliers and leads process improvements. Develops and maintains relationships and partnerships with customers, stakeholders, peers, partners and direct reports. Provides oversight and approval of technical approaches, products and processes. Manages, develops and motivates employees. Participates in software estimating and proposal development activities. Applies technical knowledge of product support and Program Management Best Practices to direct program activities.
- Ensures project requirements are satisfied, to include all deliverables
- Manages a team of developers that are following a SAFe Agile software development methodology
- Applies in-depth understanding of program budget management principles and practices to develop and administer program budgets
- Ensures work statement is completed on schedule and budget
- Develops project and operational plans aligned to team objectives
- Implements plans to ensure business, technical and customer requirements are achieved
- Assigns authority and responsibilities to employees to execute the plan
- Reviews plans' execution, makes appropriate adjustments, and resolves issues
- Monitors and reports appropriate metrics to ensure performance to plan
- Coaches, counsels, mentors and provides developmental opportunities and job assignments to enhance employee performance and expand capabilities
- Provides on-going developmental feedback
- Recognizes contributions of individuals and teams to improve employee satisfaction and retain a skilled and motivated workforce
- Develops workgroup, project or operational goals, objectives and related metrics to ensure alignment with Company vision/strategy
- Measures progress and makes adjustments as needed
- Holds direct reports accountable for achieving goals
- Achieves goals for productivity, quality and customer satisfaction
- Provides technical direction and guidance to others regarding approved processes, tools, technology and skills for own projects or processes
- Systematically evaluates proper job classification of employees, sets employee goals and objectives, manages and evaluates performance to plan on a reoccurring basis
- Recommends to upper management employee salaries based on employee value and Company guidelines to provide a fair and equitable work environment
- Implements policies, procedures and documents to ensure consistent execution of processes within workgroup in support of Company and regulatory requirements
- Forecasts resource needs and obtains and manages personnel, facilities, services, equipment and tools to meet project and daily operating requirements
- Identifies and documents what is included (and not included) within project scope
- Manages overall project health (e.g., Cost Performance Index [CPI], Schedule Performance Index [SPI], Earned Value)
- Performs other duties as assigned
This position allows telecommuting. The selected candidate will be required to perform some work onsite at one of the listed location options.
This position requires an active U.S. Secret Security Clearance (U.S. Citizenship Required). (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- 3+ years of experience leading customer facing teams in a formal role (Manager or Team Lead)
- 3+ years of experience with Program Management, including scheduling and Cost Account Manager
- 3+ years of experience leading, managing or working within a SAFe Agile software development team
- 3+ years of experience working with multiple stakeholders (i.e. business partner, customer, Finance, suppliers) in planning and executing projects
- 3+ years of experience developing and presenting recommendations to customers/ senior management
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience working as a Software, Systems, or Electrical Engineer
- Experience in managing software product development (large scale application from inception to sustainment/ maintenance)
- Experience in networking (routers, switches) and various protocols (TCP IP, OSPF etc.)
- Experience in DevSecOps & Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Experience working within accepted project management standards in the industry with any one or a combination of the following: Project management Institute (PMI), Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), Application, Development, & Sustaining (AD&S)
This position is located in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is first shift.
At Boeing, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
The Boeing Company also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
Summary pay range: $125K – 155K
Export Control Requirements: U.S. Government Export Control Status: This position must meet export control compliance requirements. To meet export control compliance requirements, a “U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. §120.15 is required. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award