Team Lead – Aeronautical AutonomyMenlo Park, California
We are seeking leaders in the fields of autonomous vehicles, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to help create pilotless aircraft that can operate in unrestricted airspace.
The Autonomy Research Division houses Aurora’s expertise in planning, estimation, and control of cutting-edge autonomous aircraft and multi-vehicle systems.
We are seeking leaders in the fields of autonomous vehicles, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to help create pilotless aircraft that can operate in unrestricted airspace. Over the years, we’ve made the aircraft automatic. Your job is to help the aircraft become autonomous. This position leads a small team of rock stars. It is expected that you will provide technical thought leadership, identify, recruit, and motivate world-class talent, and coordinate with other Aurora sites working in the autonomy domain.
Functional Area Brief
Seeking to combine the best of Silicon Valley with the best of the aerospace industry, our California Office, located in Menlo Park, is staffing the Aeronautical Autonomy Team, a small team of people who think of themselves as both pilots and engineers.
Working closely with our autonomy, avionics, software, and flight operations teams, you will develop algorithms that replace or supplement human decision-making. Using the insight you gained by operating an aircraft in the system, you will decide what our autonomous systems must do, you will decide how they should do it, you will create the algorithms, code, and data structures required, and you will test them in simulation and in flight.
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science. A Ph.D. is preferred.
- An FAA airman certificate at the private pilot level or higher, with an airplane, helicopter, or powered lift rating. Current pilots preferred.
- Experience and education in one or more of:
- Machine learning
- Artificial intelligence
- Perception and sensor fusion
- Novel algorithm development for breakthrough autonomy
- Requires excellent English written and oral communications skills.
- A trajectory of increasing responsibility
- Evidence of thought leadership
- Experience in an aerospace development environment is preferred.
- Experience in autonomous vehicle (air, space, or ground) development is preferred.
- Due to ITAR export restrictions, US citizenship or permanent residency is required.
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More