Mid-Level Materials and Processes Metals EngineerRenton, Washington; Everett, Washington
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
We are Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T): Boeing's global research and development team creating and implementing innovative technologies that make the impossible possible and enabling the future of aerospace. We are engineers and technicians, skilled scientists and bold innovators; Join us and put your passion, determination, and skill to work building the future!
BR&T Manufacturing Technology Integration Commercial (MTI-C) is looking for several Mid-Level Materials and Processes Metals Engineers to join one of three engineering support teams (777/767/747 Airframe Structures, Sub Components, and Propulsion) located in Everett and Renton, Washington.
In these exciting positions the candidate will have the opportunity to deploy metallic materials and processes and see them through implementation, leading to their work being flown on aircraft every day. The candidate will also have the opportunity to interface with company leaders, suppliers, and airplane customers. The position will be responsible for specifying metallic materials and processes for the production of parts and assemblies on commercial airplanes. The role will closely coordinate with Design, Manufacturing, and Liaison engineers to approve metallic materials and processes for production use via drawing review and approval and to help resolve technical issues that arise in the supply chain or in our factories. Through BR&T supplier management team, the selected candidate will guide suppliers in the development of efficient and effective manufacturing processes including supporting the qualification of new metallic parts and part production processes. Sub component or spares candidate will work with international Boeing design and BR&T teams and suppliers to support the material selection and processes with emphasis on high strength steels in support of design and fabrication of parts to be used as spares for Boeing commercial and defense programs. There will be opportunity to work in a laboratory environment performing fracture and failure analysis.
The role on the Boeing 777 /767/747 Airframe Structures Engineering Program Support Team in Everett, Washington will focus on primary and secondary metallic airframe structure on 777, 767, and 747 airplanes.
The role on the Boeing Sub Components Engineering Program Support Team in Seattle, Washington will focus on emerging spares design and fabrication for all commercial airplanes and select defense programs.
The role on the Boeing Propulsion Puget Sound Engineering Program Support Team in Everett and Renton, Washington will focus on propulsion related (nacelle, inlet, strut, pylon, etc) structure and materials on all airplanes.
- Defines requirements and approves tools, equipment, materials, parts and processes used in the engineering design, manufacture and/or maintenance of products
- Produces specifications and other documents to manage the deployment of tools, equipment, materials, parts and processes
- Maintains compliance with contractual and regulatory obligations
- Promotes standardization across business activities
- Evaluates emerging technologies for potential application to business needs
- Develops and qualifies new tools, equipment, materials, parts and processes to meet requirements
- Integrates new technologies as appropriate
- Manages test and audit programs to qualify suppliers to applicable requirements
- Conducts analysis to characterize performance or determine reasons for failure of tools, materials, parts or processes
- Implements corrective and preventive actions
- Designs, develops and qualifies computer and production systems to satisfy user requirements
- Uses project management tools to meet cost, technical, and schedule requirements
- Incorporates environmental health and safety, LEAN and Quality principles into (1) materials and processes, (2) research, design and qualification, (3) work procedures and (4) labs and office areas
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- 3+ years of experience working with metallic material parts/assembly design and/or production
- 2+ years of experience reading and interpreting drawings, specifications, material processes, schematic and diagrams
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience with heat treating
- Experience with machining
- Experience with forging processes
- Experience with casting processes
- Experience with welding and brazing
- Experience with Aerospace alloys and their appropriate use
- Experience with metallic structural repair
- Experience with metallurgical characterization techniques such as metallography, hardness, conductivity, Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Electron Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS), Optical Emission Spectroscopy, Penetrant Inspection, Magnetic Particle Inspection, Barkhausen, Radiologic Inspection
- Experience with fracture and failure analysis
- Experience with drawing review and approval of metallic materials and processes for commercial aircraft structure
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit for this position. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Shift Work Statement:
This position is for 1st shift.
This is a union represented position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
- Software Engineering Intern Gdansk, Pomerania, Poland 07/01/2022
- Business University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- Engineering University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- IT University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
No recently viewed jobs. View All Opportunities