Lead Configuration Design EngineerSeal Beach, California
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense, Space and Security is seeking a Lead Configuration Design Engineer (Level 4) to support the development of configuration designs for IRAD, CRAD, and programs for the Phantom Works Resilient Space Technologies Advanced Missions group. The designs will be related to satellite buses, payloads, and other space technologies. This position will involve trading all key variables such as structural adequacy, component capabilities and cost to effectively meet customer needs. The candidate will support systems from initial design and requirements development through production and deployment. The ideal candidate will also be capable of supporting detailed design and drawing/model release to support manufacturing. This position is located in Seal Beach, CA.
**This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates.**
- Synthesizes conceptual/preliminary aerospace/aeronautical vehicles.
- Creates vehicle configuration designs from customer requirements.
- Leads multi-discipline design cycle and performs trade studies to assess design space, structural adequacy, cost effectiveness and regulatory requirements.
- Applies knowledge of different propulsions to perform propulsions system trades to support vehicle sizing and configuration trades.
- Supports development of aerospace/aeronautical vehicle requirements (e.g., range, payload, operating and lifecycle cost).
- Performs mass properties analysis for vehicle sizing.
- Work on communication systems for vehicle sizing trades.
- Applies knowledge of all space vehicle subsystems to assemble a complete space vehicle and perform SV trades.
- Trains and mentors others.
- Works under minimal direction.
This position requires an active U.S. Security Clearance with a SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation), for which the U.S Government requires U.S. Citizenship. A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- 5 years or more experience working with contractors and suppliers.
- 5 years or more experience working with satellite structural configuration design.
- Experience working with Solid Works.
- Experience working with CATIA V5 & Creo.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary conceptual design teams.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
- Experience working with Unigraphics.
- Familiarity with current Government regulatory requirements for spacecraft design.
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More