Database Administrator- Career Level-P4 (Satellite Ground Data Center)Springfield, Virginia
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us!
The Boeing Company is looking for a Database Administrator that will be located in Springfield, VA and will be performing ITIL Tier 2 Mission Operations and Maintenance (O&M) support for satellite control mission systems. You will be part of a team providing in-depth troubleshooting, technical analysis and restoring software to normal operational status. The mission systems include Compute, Storage, and Database components.
Upon notification of an incident, then following detailed troubleshooting procedures, the position is responsible for resolving software or system or hardware failures. When incidents are more complex, the engineer will escalate to the Tier 3 Software Development Supplier.
This position may be required to work or provide on-call support to around-the-clock staffing or 24x7 shifts. No travel is required.
As a Database Administrator you will be responsible for:
- Incident Response:
- Ensuring mission software is executing and operating properly as needed by the operations center.
- Mission software includes satellite command and control, mission planning, mission data processing, and flow orchestration.
- Troubleshoot problems using established procedures and processes to return the SW to normal operating conditions within the timelines defined below:
- Mission Critical Incident: 1 hour to resolve the issue or develop a workaround or escalate to Tier 3 factory team
- Mission Essential Incident: 6 hours
- Mission Support Incident: 72 hours
- Contract award fee is contingent upon being able to meet these response times
When not responding to an incident, other duties will include but not be limited to:
- Performing system diagnostics and preventive maintenance
- Maintaining system software environments (Compute, Storage, and Database)
- Assist with transitioning of new systems into operations and decommissioning of old systems
- System Tuning
- User Maintenance (profiles, user lists)
- Performing backups
- Contributing to system configuration audits
Reference these links for an overview of ITIL Tier levels and Tier 2 Incident Response tasks
Security Clearance and Export Control Requirements:
This position requires (or the ability to obtain prior to start date) a current TS/SCI with CI polygraph. A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered current.
Position is contingent on program security clearance approval
- Experienced in scripting languages including UNIX and/or Linux, Shell scripting
- Experience with network or system administration duties
- Security+ Certification is required after the start date and preference is the candidate has already received Security+ Certification
- If certification is not obtained prior to start date, then Boeing will arrange for the certification session after job start
- Technical problem solving
- Programming and scripting skills (Python and Java preferred)
- Databases knowledge (Oracle preferred)
- Responsible and high degree of accountability
- Able to resolve issues with thoroughness and follow through to completion
- Desire to support satellite operations missions
- Able to work collaboratively with fellow engineers, operators, satellite controllers, planners, and mission directors across different companies and government organizations
- Technical bachelor's degree with 9 or more years of related experience or a Master's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A technical degree is defined as any four-year degree, or greater, in a mathematic, scientific or information technology field of study
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is 10 or more year’s relevant experience with a High School degree/GED or 8 or more year’s relevant experience with an Associate’s Degree
- Springfield, Virginia
- Relocation Assistance is not available. If an individual moves to the work location area, the cost of the move is the responsibility of the candidate
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Build the future with us
We’re hiring experienced Information Technology professionals in Las Cruces, New Mexico and Springfield, Virginia.Learn More
CAREER EVENT | SEPT 19 HERNDON, VA
Meet hiring managers to discuss opportunities for experienced engineers.Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More