2nd Shift Senior Product Review Engineer - KC-46 (Liaison Engineer)Tukwila, Washington; Everett, Washington
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) Product Review Engineering (PRE) organization in Everett WA, is seeking senior engineers to support the production of the KC-46 Tanker Aerial Refueling Aircraft Program .
The KC-46 program is part of the Commercial Derivative Aircraft division within BDS. The KC-46A Pegasus is a wide-body, multi-role tanker that can refuel all U.S., allied, and coalition military aircraft compatible with international aerial refueling procedures. Boeing designed the KC-46 to carry passengers, cargo and patients. The aircraft can detect, avoid, defeat, and survive threats using multiple layers of protection, which will enable it to operate safely in medium-threat environments.
We are looking for proactive individuals who can make quick engineering decisions and who want go beyond their desk and into the factory or onto the field for hands on engineering.
This position involves daily exposure to factory environment which includes stairs, trip hazards, high noise areas, chemical hazards (breathing and handling), and entering airplanes during their many stages of build.
This position requires excellent communication and collaboration skills, partnering closely with production personnel. This position covers all areas and systems of the KC-46 airplanes in production. The first step in this role is to earn a Material Review Board (MRB) certification which is a highly sought-after skill in the global industries today. With MRB certification, an Engineer has signature authority to revise FAA approved type design to account for production deviations.
On a typical day as a certified MRB Engineer, you will create design solutions to address any and all nonconforming parts and systems on an airplane, which includes correcting any build or design errors found during production. Your repair solutions will take into consideration: metal and composite structures, interiors, payloads, electrical systems, functional testing, finishes, aerodynamics, electromagnetic environment, damage tolerance, fatigue, static strength, propulsion, safety, and so much more.
- Assesses and resolves product/process issues through the product lifecycle.
- Leads research of technical, operational and quality issues that cannot be resolved by customer and designs interim and final engineering solutions.
- Leads others to analyze, conduct root cause analysis and develop dispositions for design non-conformances.
- Develops and implements product/process improvements.
- Uses innovative approaches and unique applications to address complex nonconforming conditions and to detect deviations.
- Provides design phase subject matter expertise by supporting Integrated Product Teams (IPT) and participating in design reviews.
- Represents the engineering community in the build through post production environment.
- Leads activities for on-site disabled product repair teams and accident investigation or support
- Performs wiring / electrical, systems, Line Replaceable Unit (LRU), and functional test troubleshooting to resolve failures and develop dispositions.
- Analyzes, develops, and approves rework/repair dispositions of BDS and BCA nonconforming products in all phases of production: supplier fabrication and assembly, receiving inspection, manufacturing integration and installation, modification, flight test, and delivery readiness.
- Performs root cause analysis and develops dispositions for design non-conformances.
- Participates in Integrated Product Teams (IPT) projects and design reviews.
- Initiates design and process changes to correct design errors, resolve complex, chronic manufacturing problems, and to improve the producibility of aircraft hardware.
- Supports the development of engineering processes, methods, and tools.
- Integrates and promotes knowledge sharing with other PRE organizations around the enterprise by seeking out best practices.
- Mentors less experienced engineers completing daily work tasks and longer-term projects.
- Interacts as an engineering representative on the KC-46 Materials Review Board.
- Ensures supplier and build partner compliance with Boeing standards.
- Provides on-site factory and field technical support including interpreting engineering drawings, specifications, and documents.
- Communicates proactively with Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Design, Support Organizations, and management personnel.
- Works according to established guidelines.
- Exercises broad latitude in determining technical solutions.
- Occasional short-term business travel may be required.
- This position involves daily exposure to factory and flightline environments which includes stairs, trip hazards, high noise areas, chemical hazards (breathing and handling), and entering airplanes during their many stages of build.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship. An interim and/or final U.S. Secret clearance Post Start is required.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering discipline
- 3+ years of experience working in a cross-functional environment and/or business unit teams
- Must be willing to work variable shifts, overtime, weekends and holidays as required.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills & Experience):
- Material Review Board Certification experience or similar Liaison Engineering experience
- Aerospace experience, fabrications, manufacturing, and/or additive manufacturing experience
- Production engineering experience
- Relevant technological knowledge
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead, work independently and in a team environment
- Excellent cross-functional teaming, collaborative problem solving, building lasting relationships & proficiency in written and verbal communication
Bachelor's degree and typically 9 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a Master's degree with typically 7 or more years' experience in an engineering classification or a PhD degree with typically 4 or more years' experience in an engineering classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
The candidate may work second or first shift as well as weekend or daily overtime. This requirement varies from site to site and is typically covered on a rotation basis
This is a union-represented position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award