Experienced Communication Network Protocol DesignerTukwila, Washington
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
We are Boeing Research & Technology: Boeing's global research and development team creating and implementing innovative technologies that make the impossible possible and enabling the future of aerospace. We are engineers and technicians, skilled scientists and bold innovators who are designing the next generation of communication systems for commercial transport airplanes, UAVs and SatCom. Join us and put your passion, determination, and skill to work building the future! #TheFutureIsBuiltHere #ChangeTheWorld
The Communications and Sensing Technology team is seeking an experienced communication network design engineer with experience in the area of developing state of art network protocols for wireless and satellite communication systems. Develops architectures to integrate systems and components into higher level systems and platforms.
This position is for a software engineer to do development in the field of networking and communications. Current efforts are focused on the development of new technologies to support mobile ad hoc directional networking, both on board wireless and off board SATCOM networking environments. This position will involve supporting research projects to develop new concepts in tactical mobile ad-hoc network protocols, sensor protocols, airborne network overlays, or network management technologies, along with work to prove the feasibility of new network technologies, building of prototypes to demonstrate the feasibility of the technologies, and the test and evaluation of prototypes in relevant environments. The position involves working in a dynamic team environment, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are needed. The work to be performed requires the candidate to work with management, peers, and customers to understand their requirements; and to achieve successful technology transition from the research environment to Boeing programs as well as to external customers. Candidates must have expertise in network systems programming and Linux kernel programming. Candidates must have expertise with network device drivers, routing protocols, transport protocols, network oriented middleware, wireless or satellite networking systems, networking for embedded systems, tactical communications systems, network management, QoS (Quality of Service), or traffic engineering.
- Masters/ PhD in Electrical Engineering, computer engineering or related field is required
- Expertise in the C/C++, Python and shell scripting
- Systems Thinking: Have expertise in systems and software engineering along with the ability to understand the big picture and the inter-relationships of all positions and activities in the organization including the impact of changes in one area on another area. This includes the ability to see and understand the inter-relationships between components of systems and plans and anticipate future events.
- Real-time S/W Architecture: Have current knowledge of real-time software architectures and design methodologies along with the ability to synthesize real-time software architectures and designs to meet real-time requirements, characteristics and constraints.
- Real-time S/W Domain Knowledge: Have a working knowledge of domains, characteristics, constraints and products that require real-time software and influence the architecture, requirements, interfaces, designs, and integration/test approaches. Real-time domain examples include control systems, human interfaces and signal processing. Examples of characteristics and constraints that impact real-time software include hardware/software timing, sizing, bandwidth, optimization and synchronization. Examples of products include aircraft, missiles, airborne/shipboard/space systems/ground-based operational systems and real-time support systems such as simulators and training systems.
- Real-time Target Environment: Have knowledge of real-time target environments including processor and network architectures, communication protocols, simulation frameworks and electrical interfaces. Have the ability to build, integrate and troubleshoot software components.
- System Hardware: Have a working knowledge of hardware systems; RF communications; and ASIC, board, and module design processes and capabilities.
- Supporting research projects to develop new concepts in tactical mobile ad-hoc network protocols, sensor protocols, airborne network overlays, or network management technologies
- Building of prototypes to demonstrate the feasibility of the technologies
- Network systems programming and Linux kernel programming
- The position involves working in a dynamic team environment, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are needed. The work to be performed requires the candidate to work with management, peers, and customers to understand their requirements; and to achieve successful technology transition from the research environment to Boeing programs as well as to external customers
This position allows telecommuting. The selected candidate will be required to perform some work onsite at one of the listed location options
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- Experience with programing in C, C++, Python and shell scripts
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Masters degree or higher in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or related field
- Experience with real-time software architecture and design methodologies
- Experience with real-time target environments including processor and network architectures, communication protocols, simulation frameworks and electrical interfaces
- Experience with hardware systems; RF communications; and ASIC, board, and module design processes and capabilities
Typical Education/Experience: Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience, 13 years' related work experience, etc.).
Relocation: This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Shift: This position is for first shift
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
- Software Engineering Intern Gdansk, Pomerania, Poland 07/01/2022
- Business University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- Engineering University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- IT University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
No recently viewed jobs. View All Opportunities