Mid Level Real Time Software Engineer
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Mid Level Real Time Software Engineer
Boeing Phantom Works creates the next generation products and services for the Boeing Defense, Space & Security business. We work with proprietary customers in the development of the next-generation technologies in space. Phantom Works focuses on rapid prototyping to demonstrate a host of mission-focused technologies for a variety of customers. Our group works all facets of engineering from technology investment, concept development, proposal writing, requirements and design, build, integration, test, and demonstration of products in their relevant environments.
We are seeking Software Engineers with experience in satellites. These positions will be responsible for development, integration and validation of services and infrastructure that enable applications to interface between each other, to hardware and to external sub-systems. These engineers are responsible for working closely with application developers and systems engineering to design solutions that meet requirements. These engineers will work with the lead software engineer to evaluate software reuse opportunities, understand architectural considerations and identify new development required. These engineers work closely through integration and validation to resolve issues through software delivery and on-orbit testing.
We have openings for the following:
- Developing guidance, navigation and control software from algorithms described in Matlab, Simulink or written documentation, closely working with subject matter experts. Integrating code into existing architecture and validating algorithm effectiveness. (Please document your familiarity with Matlab and Simulink on your resume.)
- Device driver development
- Middleware development
This position will report to the Resilient Space Technologies group and partner closely with the Space and Launch division located in El Segundo, California.
Basic Relocation package only for internal candidates and standard relocation has been authorized for external candidates.
SPEEA representation applies, this job family will be covered by the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. Applicable and appropriate educational/certification credentials from an accredited institution and/or equivalent experience is required.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience)
- BS degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Engineering is required.
- Must possess a current (within the last 5 years) final Top Secret clearance. Boeing Security will validate clearance level.
- 5+ years of experience with a range of programming languages, including interpreted (such as Python) to compiled (such as C/C++) to assembly language
- 5+ years of experience with Real Time Operating Systems, such as Integrity, Real-Time Linux or vxWorks
- Knowledge of low-level programming with real-time constraints
- Knowledge of computer hardware architectures and the extent to which they influence low-level software
A successful candidate must be willing to stretch beyond their experience base and to take risks to achieve objectives. This position is best suited to individuals who are self starters, highly motivated, work well in fast paced multi-discipline team environments, and are able to work with quick decisions for the best interest of the business. This person should have experience in process development and qualification, physical and functional integration and installation design and resolving supplier technical issues.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- A Bachelor's degree with 5 or more years' experience, or a Master's degree with 3 or more years' experience, or a PhD with experience is desired.
- Experience (highly desired) with agile development processes and methods
- Experience in development, build and test of small and medium-sized spacecraft
- Experience in a dynamic rapid prototyping environment
- Prior history working proprietary programs with a variety of Government entities in a classified environment
- Experience developing middleware software
- TS/SSBI highly desired
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
At Boeing we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.