Senior Electrical Power System Design EngineerTukwila, Washington
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the sea bed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Phantom Works creates the next generation products and services for the Boeing Defense, Space & Security business. As part of Phantom Works our group specifically works with proprietary customers in the development of the next-generation technologies in space. Our group focuses on rapid prototyping to develop and demonstrate a host of mission-focused technologies. We work all facets of engineering from technology investment, initial concept, proposal writing, requirements, design, build, integration, test, and demonstration of products in their relevant environments which can include a space flight demonstration. Work locations will include sites that are within a short (<10 mile) drive of Tukwila, Washington, located just outside of Seattle in the heart of Puget Sound.
In this position you will be responsible for the satellite power subsystem. Starting with developing power budgets and requirements, you will help specify, design, build and test the power subsystem and its interfaces. You will be part of supplier selection process, manage the selected suppliers as hardware is received, test, integrate then test the integrated system. This is an exciting opportunity to work at the leading edge of new space technologies that often starts with a vague idea-blank sheet of paper to flying in space in a short period of time.
This is a union represented position
- Develop power budgets and specifications for satellite power subsystems
- Power subsystems would include solar arrays, batteries, power regulators and distribution
- Analyze and verify performance of hardware components for the power subsystem
- Perform detailed system design and verification activities
- Support system level integration, validation and test
- Support on orbit testing
- Analyze system level performance
- Leads and performs analyses and trades in support of a rapid prototype system
- Manages performance of critical suppliers to ensure subsystem compliance and delivery
- This position will report to the Resilient Space Technologies group and partner closely with the Space and Launch division located in El Segundo, California
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates.
This position requires an active U.S. Top Secret Security Clearance, for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or technical field.
- 5+ years of electrical engineering experience.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- 9+ years of Engineering experience.
- 3+ Experience in spacecraft power systems
- 5+ years of experience in supplier technical evaluation and performance management.
- Experience in development, build and test of small and medium-sized spacecraft
- Experience in a dynamic rapid prototyping environment
- Prior history working proprietary programs with a variety of Government entities in a classified environment
Typical Education & Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
A successful candidate must be willing to stretch beyond their experience base and to take risks to achieve objectives. This position is best suited to individuals who are self starters, highly motivated, work well in fast paced multi-discipline team environments, and are able to work with quick decisions for the best interest of the business. This person has experience and some expertise in process development and qualification, physical and functional integration and installation design and resolving supplier technical issues.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More