Senior Software Engineer
With Boeing, your software innovations can touch commercial and military aircraft, rockets and spacecraft as well as advanced cyber solutions. This is where you can build the future.
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take?
What makes a successful Software Engineering employee? Check out the info to the right to see if you have what it takes.
- Technologically savvy
“ Working on a complex system in a lab environment is challenging and exciting, but the real reward came when I got to test our system with defense customers. I was able to interface directly with the men and women who would be depending on our products and hear their feedback firsthand.”Steve Jacobsen Digital Signal Processing Engineer, Software Engineer
Boeing’s Total Rewards may differ depending on business unit, subsidiary, position or geographic location. Certain eligibility provisions may apply to the programs or benefits below. Ask your recruiter for more details.
Most employees are eligible for an annual incentive reward.
Unlimited access to online lessons and certification courses.
12 weeks’ paid parental leave.
Generous company contributions and financial planning tools.
Back to School
Generous funding for hundreds of accredited colleges and universities (up to $25,000 per year for many programs; up to 100% for eligible STEM studies).
Up to $10,000 in donations and volunteer matching per year.
Senior Software Engineer
This is a union represented position.
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Phantom Works creates the next generation products and services for the Boeing Defense, Space & Security business and is currently looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join their team in Tukwila, WA.
We work with proprietary customers in the development of the next-generation technologies in space. Phantom Works focuses on rapid prototyping to demonstrate a host of mission-focused technologies for a variety of customers. Our group works all facets of engineering from technology investment, concept development, proposal writing, requirements and design, build, integration, test, and demonstration of products in their relevant environments.
We are seeking a Software Engineer with experience in satellites to work in a rapid development environment.
- Develop, integrate, and test of embedded flight software on a rapid development satellite program.
- Contribute to the full software life cycle.
- Partner with systems engineering and test to write software that meets program needs.
- Coding the engineers duties (which will include helping develop the software team to derive software requirements, evaluate software reuse, and define software architecture).
- Facilitate translation of detailed requirements and algorithms into flight software by closely working with subject matter experts and the software team.
- Define software-in-the-loop environments as well as a hardware-in-the-loop integration and test environments.
- Position includes work in areas within a ~10 mile radius of Tukwila, WA
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Must possess a current (within the last 5 years) final Top Secret clearance. Boeing Security will validate clearance level.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Engineering is required.
- Experience with a range of computer programming languages; must be fluent in C/C++
- Experience developing on a Linux operating system
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- A Bachelor's degree with 9 or more years' experience, or a Master's degree with 7 or more years' experience, or a PhD with experience is desired.
- Experience (highly desired) with agile development processes and methods
- Experience in development, build and test of small and medium-sized spacecraft
- Experience in a dynamic rapid prototyping environment
- Prior history working proprietary programs with a variety of Government entities in a classified environment
- Experience developing middleware software
- TS/SSBI highly desired
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems, such as Integrity, Real-Time Linux or vxWorks
- Knowledge of low-level programming with real-time constraints (example APIs include Unity and the Unreal Engine)
- Knowledge of computer hardware architectures and the extent to which they influence low-level software
A successful candidate must be willing to stretch beyond their experience base and to take risks to achieve objectives. This position is best suited to individuals who are self starters, highly motivated, work well in fast paced multi-discipline team environments, and are able to work with quick decisions for the best interest of the business. This person has experience and some expertise in process development and qualification, physical and functional integration and installation design and resolving supplier technical issues.
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility (Basic relocation is available for internal candidates, based on candidate eligibility.)
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
At Boeing, diversity, equity, and inclusion are enduring company values. We strive to live these values every day not only because it’s the right thing to do, but because our success depends on it. The company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion means providing a work environment for all employees that is welcoming, respectful and equitable, with opportunities for personal and professional development.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.