Senior Space Platform Thermal EngineerTukwila, Washington
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense, Space and Security (BDS) has an opening for a Senior Thermal Engineer (Level 4) in the Puget Sound in support of multiple Phantom Works programs.
The thermal engineer has an opportunity to work with an experienced, interdisciplinary team to develop unique systems to meet challenging requirements on dynamic development programs. The thermal engineer is responsible for spacecraft thermal design, modeling and analysis. The thermal engineer works closely with other engineering teams and subsystem providers to create a fully integrated spacecraft design. The position supports the development of spacecraft components to meet the thermal system requirements. The thermal engineer supports the selection of materials, processes and test planning. The position works with analysis and modeling and simulation teams to model thermal performance and integrate thermal models with other tools. This position requires sound technical judgment to make rapid decisions in a dynamic environment, and pulls from experience to create innovative solutions to challenging requirements.
- Create integrated spacecraft thermal design, working with suppliers and subsystem providers
- Utilize thermal modeling tools to design and build spacecraft thermal model
- Maintain and manage spacecraft thermal balance budgets
- Support hardware developers in selection of materials, process and tests that comply with thermal design
- Coordinate thermal interfaces between spacecraft subsystems
- Support linking results and output of thermal models to other modeling and simulation software
Work locations will include sites that are within ~10 miles of Tukwila, WA
This position requires an active Top Secret U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related technical field of study
- 5+ years or more thermal design and modeling of aerospace platforms
- 1+ years of experience utilizing thermal modeling software (e.g. Thermal Desktop, IDEAS/TMG, MuSES, etc.)
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience in space platform thermal design
- Experience working directly with suppliers on thermal interfaces
- Experience in develop of novel thermal designs and concepts
- Experience exporting, analyzing, reporting and interfacing output of modeling software
- SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation) highly desired
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
This is a union represented position.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More