Senior Microsoft Power BI DeveloperVancouver, British Columbia
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the sea bed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Vancouver is seeking a Senior Microsoft Power BI Developer who is a team player and can work with limited supervision to build and maintain our Power BI Embedded reports and data models. The Power BI Developer will work closely with our data experts, data engineers, UX/UI designers and software development teams to create rich, high performant reporting across diverse datasets; ultimately creating value to our stakeholders and customers. This individual should have a strong desire to understand data (the “facts”) and to create innovative data driven analytics solutions. This level 4 position is located in Vancouver, Canada.
As a Senior Power BI Developer, you will be responsible for designing and building data and analytics reports for embedded applications. You are passionate about empowering individuals through data-driven decision making and helping teams think strategically around how to visualize data and provide new insights into the data. You also have a drive to build highly effective, performant advanced analytical platforms and are invested in advancing Boeing’s data culture.
- Design, document and develop complex MS Power Platform (PowerBI, Power Apps, etc.) solutions.
- Lead design/requirements sessions with Product Management, data experts and end users to document/understand the reporting and analytics needs.
- Work with UX/UI designers for to construct wireframes, mock-ups, and in an Agile development process create Power BI Embedded reports.
- Maintain and manage the data strategy and governance for curated/shared data models (datasets)
- Understand and document the data required, data definitions and/or modeling changes for proposed solutions and the current implementation.
- Work closely with our application solution architects, data scientists and data engineering teams to develop BI solutions, enhance and/or define new data integrations and/or modeling efforts.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and resolve issues for the deployed reporting solutions
- Provide database development, architecture and data pipeline support for data engineers and architects
- Continually examine internal process and how Power Platform objects are being utilized and recommend and implement improvements
- Generate ad-hoc data analysis utilizing Power BI, R, Python, Excel, and/or other tools.
- Stay up-to-date on all new Power BI features and functionalities and find ways to introduce them to the organization.
- Work closely with our other report developers, application developers, data scientists and DevOps to lead an enterprise wide community of practice around Power BI and self-service analytics.
Required Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience)
- Diploma or Bachelor's degree in information Science or related field of study.
- 5+ years’ experience providing IT Business Intelligence solutions related to Power BI, data warehousing, BI testing, and analytics engineering.
- Min 2+ years’ experience specifically with Power BI Reporting (Power BI Embedded application experience would be an asset).
- T-SQL, SQL - database modeling, design, testing, implementation, and integration.
- Data profiling, and discrepancy analysis.
- Power BI performance modeling and optimization.
- Experience building tabular data models in Power BI and/or Analysis Services.
- Proficient in DAX to create customized measures.
- Experience with Direct Query/Import/Composite models and Aggregations in Power BI.
- Knowledge and experience with the Power BI REST API.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience)
- Extensive Knowledge of the Microsoft BI Stack, including SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS.
- Strong T-SQL and Database development skills.
- Experience with Microsoft’s Cloud Power Platform.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines for data model and report curation/promotion processes that are automated (everything-as-code).
- Experience with Spark SQL / Databricks development and streaming data pipelines.
- Experience with Data Warehousing and Data Lakes (Preferably on Azure) and general big data architecture patterns.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure Services – Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Warehouse, Delta Lake, DataBricks, On-Premise Data Gateway and Azure DevOps Automation.
- Knowledgeable in Agile Software Development Methodology.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) along with strong planning and organizing skills.
Individual Contributor - 4
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More