Autonomous Systems Lead Safety EngineerYeovil, England; Bristol, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
This role fits in with a larger System Safety Team that cover a wide range of programmes from Autonomous Systems, Rotary and Fixed Wing Aircraft, Land based Systems, Information Systems and Research and Development. Reporting to the BDUK System Safety and Environmental Engineering (SSEE) Manager and the Safety Technical Lead, this role provide the technical leadership to the Autonomous Systems programmes. We offer a supportive career opportunity to enable growth and progression (and movement between programmes) that rewards excellence and fosters an inclusive environment where team members are seen, heard, valued, respected and fully engaged. This is a full-time role based at either Yeovil, Bristol and Milton Keynes with hybrid working options.
The Autonomous Systems Lead Safety Engineer will provide systems safety engineering expertise and technical leadership into bids and proposals to support system safety engineering activities. Undertaking all systems safety activities in support of Product, System and Service Safety Cases as required. Applies an interdisciplinary collaborative approach to plan design, develop and verify a life-cycle balanced system of systems and system solutions. Evaluates customer and operational needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and programme interfaces. Performs various analyses to optimize total system of systems and/or system architecture.
The role has the following key responsibilities:
Lead the planning and support for the following safety activities:
- Safety Programme scoping and planning
- Resource Workload Planning, Support to Bids and Proposals
- Identifying, monitoring and executing risks, issues and opportunities and supporting the development of mitigation plans
Undertaking the development of Autonomous Systems Safety activities for Bids and ongoing programme activities. Safety assessments of the any products, systems and services in accordance with MoD Safety Policy, Defence Standard 00-056 and associated international standards including the development, maintenance and update of:
- Safety Management Plans
- Safety Assessments for Safety related software subsystems
- Hazard Identification and Analysis techniques including but not limited to: Functional Failure Analysis, Structured What If Technique (SWIFT)
- Hazard Logs using the CASSANDRA or other Hazard Log tools
- Safety Cases, Safety Case Reports for Products and Services
- Safety Arguments using Claims, Argument Evidence and Goal Structuring Notation using the Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment (ASCE) software
Develop System Safety strategy for bids and proposals for Autonomous systems programmes.
Ensuring close liaison, through proactive collaborative behaviour, with other Boeing, Customer and Supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Safety Cases
Proactively supporting Customer and Supplier Safety Meetings and chair internal and customer-facing System Safety Working Groups
Please note that some UK travel might be expected
- Experience developing Safety Cases for complex Autonomous systems and aircraft and/or Services
- Understand and have experience of applying Safety Techniques on complex aircraft and/or Autonomous Systems
Preferred Qualifications (Experience/Education/Skills):
- Formal System Safety training would be highly desirable
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience leading and developing Safety Assessments for MoD aircraft and/or ground based systems
- Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of MoD Safety Policy and Def Stan 00-056, 00-055
- Understanding and knowledge/experience of Software Safety
- Understanding and experience of applying Safety Techniques to Safety Related Data and Information Systems
- Experience with the use of common safety tools, specifically CASSANDRA, Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment
- Demonstrating the ability to plan of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility
- Ability to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans
- Experience of developing resource workload plans and schedules
- Experience of providing safety support into bids and proposals
- Excellent communication skills, technical competencies, and skills with project management concepts/tools
- For senior roles, completion of or working towards a post graduate qualification in System Safety Engineering is highly desirable, but not essential
Work Authorisation: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship.
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
- Software Engineering Intern Gdansk, Pomerania, Poland 07/01/2022
- Business University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- Engineering University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
- IT University Summer Internship Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 06/29/2022
No recently viewed jobs. View All Opportunities