Systems Engineering Lead - ApacheYeovil, England
This post is for a Lead Systems Engineer to work within the Engineering Function in Boeing Defence UK (BDUK). BDUK is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,200 people in the UK. BDUK is responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK defence customers including E-7 AEW&C, P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISTAR Services, Through Life Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services
As part of the Engineering Function, the successful candidate will be the Systems Engineering, Integration and Test (SEIT) Lead for the Apache platform, specifically the AH-64E for programme delivery and to support any new business opportunities. This role will work hand in hand with the Apache Chief Engineer to ensure that all Systems Engineering activities are planned and executed with excellence and consistency across the business. Continuous Improvement will also be a key part of the role
The SEIT Lead in the UK will act as the integrator for all engineering activity required to deliver the UK AH-64E Long Term Training and Support Service. The successful candidate will act as deputy and operate under the delegation of the UK AH-64E Chief Engineer. He or She will be responsible for the day-to-day coordination of all engineering activity required to deliver long term platform Training and Support across both UK and US located Boeing divisions. Additionally, the SEIT Lead will be required to provide cross-business function support, primarily Programme Management, Operations, Supplier Management and Training Services.
Initial activities will be associated with the instantiation and mobilization of the Training and Support contract with the UK Ministry of Defence, within Boeing UK, and across the wider Boeing organisation followed by delivery to support the UK AH-64E in service with the Army Air Corps
The role will involve liaison with the UK Ministry of Defence, key Suppliers, and the wider Boeing organisation including Boeing in Mesa (Arizona), and will require travel to UK locations including Bristol, Middle Wallop and Wattisham and also occasional international travel. A collaborative and agile approach is key to ensure that tight deadlines can be met
The successful candidate will also need to plan, organize, review and monitor the work of other Engineers across the programme to ensure all targets and quality standards are met; provide technical oversight to suppliers; instill engineering best practices and processes to enhance engineering excellence and drive First Time Quality
The successful candidate shall have the following key experience and skills:
- Significant technical experience of the Apache Attack helicopter including knowledge of its mechanical, electrical and avionic systems, its equipment, architecture, and its role as a battlefield helicopter.
- Previous experience working with the UK Ministry of Defence including the Army Air Corps, REME, JHC, and DE&S.
- A thorough knowledge of both UK Military regulatory environment including the Military Aviation Authority Regulatory Articles.
- Experience in delivering through life aircraft sustainment and support solutions for complex military aircraft.
- Experience of technical management of key equipment suppliers in both the UK and United States.
- General knowledge of rotorcraft structures, mechanical systems, Defensive Aids Systems, Electro-optic targeting equipment, RADAR, battlefield communication systems, weapon systems, and general avionic architectures.
- Experience of the delivery of aircrew, groundcrew and maintainer training.
- General understanding of cross-functional engineering activity including Systems Engineering Planning, Monitoring and Control, Requirements Management, Technical Risk and Opportunity Management, Integration of Specialties (e.g. Human Factors), Design Engineering, Trade Studies, Verification and Validation, System Safety, Airworthiness, general Integrated Logistic Support, Reliability and Maintainability, Field Service Engineering and Continuing Airworthiness Management.
- The tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and processes and ensuring functional governance while supporting the development and refinement of processes based on Lessons identified across multiple programmes
What We're Looking for:
A Degree level (or equivalent) qualification in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or and engineering related field is preferred with extensive experience in developing, delivering and/or managing systems/services
The ideal candidate will have significant Project Engineering Experience (Requirements Analysis, System Design, Project Planning,); Excellent SE knowledge and skills; Good IT skills; Excellent Customer Facing Skills; Ability to build enduring relationships across Boeing and Integrated Customer and Supplier team; Ability to problem solve across multiple levels of complexity. He / she will also have extensive experience on Rotary Wing Defence platforms, in particular Apache. Experience in some of the following areas is desirable: C4ISR, Mission Systems, Communications Systems and Networks, Training Systems and Training Related Technology
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity and Inclusion
We see the true value of diversity and inclusion both in our people and in our products and services. Learn More
See how we're active, involved and engaged members of the community. Learn More
With more than $3 billion invested annually in research and development, we drive innovation that will transform aerospace and defense as we know it. Learn More
In addition to compensation, our Total Rewards program offers valuable health and well-being benefits programs to help employees and their families better manage the various phases of life. Learn More
We're focused on the future and implementing bold strategies to improve our footprint. Learn More