Training Systems Safety EngineerYeovil, England; Bristol, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
A training Systems Safety Engineer is required to support system safety planning and execution as part of a multi-faceted team supporting New/COTS and modified Training Systems and associate support services. This role is based at Bristol or Yeovil but offers a high degree of remote working with weekly attendance on site for office or customer meetings. This role fits in with a larger System Safety Team that cover a wide range of programmes from Autonomous Systems, Rotary and Fixed Wing Aircraft, Land based Systems, Information Systems and Research and Development. We offer a supportive career opportunity to enable growth and progression (and movement between programmes) that rewards excellence and fosters an inclusive environment where team members are seen, heard, valued, respected and fully engaged.
Reporting to the BDUK Training Systems Lead Safety Engineer and working closely with other programme safety leads, undertake development and in-service System Safety activities in support of the UK MOD customer and the UK and US-based suppliers of training equipment.
The role has the following key responsibilities:
1. Development of Operational, Product and System Safety artefacts and associated documentation in accordance with Defence Standard 00-056 for the E-7 GSS programme such as the generation of:
- Project/Programme Safety Management Plans.
- Identification of applicable legislation and regulations Including comparison between applicable international regulations and directives. (primarily US and EU)
- Safety assessment of synthetic training equipment design including influencing the design to meet safety considerations
- Hazard Identification and Analysis including: Preliminary Hazard Identification', Functional Failure Analysis, Operating and Support Hazard Analysis, Occupational Health Hazard Analysis
- Hazard Logs
- Safety Cases, Safety Case Reports and Safety Arguments
2. Ensure close liaison with other Boeing, customer and supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Safety Case.
3. Assure the delivery of training appropriately captures functional and physical training safety requirements.
4. Proactively support customer safety meetings and chair System Safety Working Groups
5. Assist and, where appropriate, lead the programme planning and support for Training Service safety activities.
6. Identify, monitor and execute risks, issues and opportunities and support the development of mitigation plans.
7. Identify and apply appropriate safety legislation and regulations
8. Proactively support the further development, maintenance, review and update of safety process.
Other job responsibilities will include assistance with the implementation of the BDUK Safety Management System within BDUK Training Service and support the development of systems safety engineering planning and products across a diverse range of services.
Remote working with occasional (weekly) office and customer meetings.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Formal system safety training
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate some of the following experience or skills:
- Demonstrable experience leading and developing Safety Assessments for aircraft training and associated synthetic training systems
- Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of Def Stan 00-056, POSMS and POEMS
- Experience developing Safety Management Systems and in-service management of Safety Cases, and Hazard Logs
- Experience with the use of common safety tools, such as CASSANDRA, Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment
- Experience of identifying and applying appropriate safety legislation and regulations
- Demonstrate the ability to lead on the planning of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility
- Able to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans
- Able to coordinate with the appropriate leaders and team members
- The candidate should possess strong communication skills, technical competency, and skills with project management concepts/tools
- The role will have significant UK MOD customer, supplier and wider Boeing interface and therefore a person who is diplomatic whilst being strong minded is essential
- Familiarisation with FsAST and MAA safety policy and requirements in a military aircraft context
- Platform or system experience and product knowledge of UK military aircraft is highly desirable
- Completed or working towards a post graduate qualification in System Safety Engineering is highly desirable.
- Previous experience of synthetic training equipment safety management would be highly desirable
Work Authorisation: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which UK residency is required
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense
Export Control Requirements: Not an export control position
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not accept unlawful discrimination in our recruitment or employment practices on any grounds including but not limited to; color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military and veteran status, or other characteristics covered by applicable law.
We have teams in more than 65 countries, and each person plays a role in helping us become one of the world’s most innovative, diverse and inclusive companies. Applicants are encouraged to share with our recruitment team any accommodations required during the recruitment process.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award