WAN System Safety Engineer (Land Systems)Yeovil, England; Bristol, England
Financial & Well
Health & Well
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
The System Safety Engineer Lead/Engineer will report to the System Safety and Environmental Engineering Manager and the Deployable Land Systems WAN capability programme Chief Engineer. The roles are to provide systems safety engineering expertise and technical input into internal safety engineering activities. Undertaking all systems safety activities in support of the Deployable Land Systems WAN capability Safety Case as required. Applies an interdisciplinary collaborative approach to plan design, develop and verify a life-cycle balanced system of systems and system solutions. Evaluates customer and operational needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and programme interfaces. Performs various analyses to optimize total system of systems and/or system architecture.
The role has the following key responsibilities:
Depending on the level, the safety engineer will be leading safety activity or supporting the lead safety engineer for the Deployable Land Systems WAN capability programme. Performing the following activities:
- Programme planning and support for the following safety activities:
- Safety Programme scoping and planning
- Resource Workload Planning, Support to Bids and Proposals
- Identifying, monitoring and executing risks, issues and opportunities and supporting the development of mitigation plans
- Undertaking the development of Programme Service level Safety Case or the safety assessment of the Training equipment in accordance with MoD Safety Policy, Defence Standard 00-056 and associated international standards including the development, maintenance and update of:
- Safety Management Plans
- Safety Assessments for Safety related software subsystems
- Hazard Identification and Analysis techniques including but not limited to: Functional Failure Analysis, Structured What If Technique (SWIFT)
- Hazard Logs using the CASSANDRA or other Hazard Log tools
- Safety Cases, Safety Case Reports for Products and Services
- Safety Arguments using Claims, Argument Evidence and Goal Structuring Notation using the Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment (ASCE) software
- Ensuring close liaison, through proactive collaborative behaviour, with other Boeing, Customer and Supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Safety Cases
- Proactively supporting Customer and Supplier Safety Meetings and chair internal and customer-facing System Safety Working Groups
- Please note that some UK travel might be expected
- Experience developing Safety Cases for complex systems ground based equipment and/or Services
- Understand and have experience of applying Safety Techniques on complex communications networks
Preferred Qualifications (Experience/Education/Skills):
- Formal System Safety training would be highly desirable
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience leading and developing Safety Assessments for MoD aircraft and/or ground based systems
- Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of MoD Safety Policy and Def Stan 00-056
- Understanding and experience of applying Safety Techniques to Safety Related Data and communication Systems
- Experience with the use of common safety tools, specifically CASSANDRA, Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment
- Demonstrating the ability to plan of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility
- Ability to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans
- Experience of developing resource workload plans and schedules
- Experience of providing safety support into bids and proposals
- Excellent communication skills, technical competencies, and skills with project management concepts/tools
- For senior roles, completion of or working towards a post graduate qualification in System Safety Engineering is highly desirable, but not essential
Work Authorisation: This position does not have sponsorship approval. This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants.
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship.
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Export Control Requirements: Not an export control position
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not accept unlawful discrimination in our recruitment or employment practices on any grounds including but not limited to; color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military and veteran status, or other characteristics covered by applicable law.
We have teams in more than 65 countries, and each person plays a role in helping us become one of the world’s most innovative, diverse and inclusive companies. Applicants are encouraged to share with our recruitment team any accommodations required during the recruitment process.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award